We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Feb 15-Mar 1

Cedar Springs
Level Contributor
82 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Feb 15-Mar 1

A lot to cover but I'll try to abridge. Lisa and I spent nine days in Coz, three in PDC, and three in Tulum. We rented Casa Opal Universe in Coz from the owner, Liliana. It was perfect for us. It's located one block east of 30th and three blocks north of 11th in a quiet local neighborhood in town. Not much to look at from outside the gate but inside, very nice. The house is roomy and bright. Everything centers around a garden/pool area surrounded by twenty foot walls, very nice, very private, very affordable. Liliana runs a ranch on the transversal road that rescues neglected and abandoned horses, then pairs them with special needs children. Both the horses and kids benefit. It's a beautiful thing and I commend Liliana for the hard work she does.

After twenty visits to Coz we wanted to try some new and different places and restaurants. The best were Renaldi's on the waterfront for Italian (we liked it better than Guidos) and Casa Mission a few blocks from our rental. Casa Mission is romantic fine dining with reasonable prices. I now understand why they earn a #1 rating. We also always enjoy El Cameron Dorado and Edwardo (an owner) on the transversal road just out of town, not fancy, just good. They are usually busy with good reason.

On Thursday Feb 24th we took the ferry to PDC and stayed in a two bedroom condo at The Royal Haciendas with friends from Michigan. It's beautiful, impeccably clean, and huge. I went to the PGA tour event at Mayakoba for two days, great cheap fun, and Lisa was happy to hang out at the resort with our friends, a win-win. Saturday morning we loaded up the car and drove to Tulum. I rented an upstairs apartment in Tulum town above the School of Swedish Massage Therapy where I got my first professional massage in my 54 years. It rocked. The apartment was clean and adequate for us but I must admit, I was spoiled by the vacation rental in Coz and The Royal Haciendas in Playa. Tulum is interesting but it didn't knock my socks off. It's pretty pricey and Tulum Beach was loaded with European tourists, kind of arrogant and rude. Someone should tell those folks that if you are a hundred pounds overweight guys, don't wear a speedo, and ladies, keep your tops on, please. You're scaring the children, wow, too much of that. I checked on some beachfront cabana rentals and was shocked at the prices. They were not that nice at $200 plus per night.

Sunday we drove to Coba, our first trip to a ruins, rented bicycles and looked around, pretty cool, I'm glad we did it once. It was a hot morning so we went swimming at the local cenotes until the tour bus loaded with the previously mentioned European tourists from Tulum showed up. The beaches north of Tulum around Soliman Bay were excellent. I went into a town called Chemuyil and grabbed some lunch items. Very clean, quaint little town where I'd like to spend some time. Not a tourist in site and the locals were very sweet.

We headed back to PDC on Tuesday, dropped the rental car (driving in this part of Mexico was a breeze, I don't know why folks are so worried about it) hopped the bus to the airport and flew back to Chicago. We got in late so we stayed at the hotel and drove home the next day. We had a great trip, made some new friends, saw some new sites and never snapped one photo, sorry about that.

kmjohn

The Original Salsa and Salsa
Cooking Classes, Sightseeing Tours
Tours Plaza - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Safe Tours Cozumel
Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Wild Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Feb 15-Mar 1

Thanks for the report--we're doing Coz/Akumal in September so our itinerary will be similar. We also plan to hit Coba and Tulum ruins. Which cenotes did you swim at?

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Feb 15-Mar 1

Great trip report, thanks for posting. Shame on you for not taking any pictures! Next time! :)

Cedar Springs
Level Contributor
82 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Feb 15-Mar 1

Forgot the names of the cenotes but they are only minutes around the lake from Coba. There are three of them and for about 70 or 80 pesos you could choose two. The only thing I didn't like is that there was no comfortable spot in the sun to warm and dry after swimming. I think they plan it that way so you swim and leave. They were very cool and very unique. I've never seen fresh water that clear.

Cedar Springs
Level Contributor
82 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Feb 15-Mar 1

Sorry Jana,

I'll try to do better next time. Just look at our old pictures. As you know, Coz doesn't change a whole lot from year to year, and we were younger looking then.

Columbia MO
Level Contributor
495 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Feb 15-Mar 1

Cool trip! Thanks for sharing!

6. Re: Trip Report Feb 15-Mar 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2012, 14:16