We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel suggestions

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
hotel suggestions

Hello all! We are a group of 5 from late 20s to early 30s and are looking for a nice all inclusive. We would like something with lots of amenities and a beach that's calm with snorkeling preferably. We would like to stay near but not too close to town with all the cruise ships. It would be nice to have the choice of a short cab ride to San Miguel in case we get too antsy at the resort. Is San Miguel the only "town" on Coz?

Is it true that the waters are calmer in general on the leeward side?

Please help all mighty travel experts!

Thanks!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel suggestions

Fiesta Americana would be my first choice,except for amenities..Close,but not too close to town,more your age group,and great snorkeling..For a more upscale AI,stay at The Grand(will need a car though)...Nice beach,but poor snorkeling..True..In this case,the wild side(although my fave),is the East side..

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel suggestions

I can't give you alot of advice on where to stay, but I can guarantee that you'll get antsy. Once you go into town, you'll probably want to spend more time there, and not at the resort. I stayed at the Reef Club once, and I re-named it 'Hotel California.' I found it very difficult and expensive to get back and forth from town on a regular basis. For instance, the rental car people always made you wait for service. We waited over an hour to overpay for a junker. Another day we went across the street to executive, and waited an hour to pick up AND return the car. The first time no one even showed up, which ruined our plans. Taxis were inconsistent as well. I got the feeling that the Reef Club frowned on guests leaving for whatever reason, thus the new name from me. The beach was nice, drinks were weak, and the food was bland... It seems like this is a mantra of AI's in general. Wherever you stay, consider renting a car for your stay, so you don't feel trapped. Internet deals are off the hook cheap. I just got a week from Avis for $150. The rental car option will also give you a wider choice of where to go and what to do, since you won't have to drop a fortune on a cab each time you venture out. I would recommend a cab for a night on the town, though, if you're going to enjoy some cervezas! Have fun!

-Tom

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel suggestions

The El Cozumeleno is my favorite AI. It's nice, clean, and has some of the best rooms and AC's on the island. It also has lively and upbeat atmosphere. It is at the north end, about a $5 cab ride to town. You will want to rent a jeep atleast one day to drive around the island, there is just too much to see.

The water is calm with both a sandy beach for swimming, and a rocky area for snorkeling. The snorkeling is better if you walk south on the beach past a couple of resorts. You can enter the water there, and the current will let you drift back to the north so you can exit back at the El Cozumeleno.

There is a lot of people on this forum who are going there Feb 3. We are all awaiting their review on the current condition of the hotel. You should check back in mid-Feb for their reviews.

Also check www.antonioscozumel.com for recent pictures.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel suggestions

Thanks so much for the suggestions. We are thinking about El Cozumeleno. We will be going in July and hope to have a relaxing time and a blast! Any suggestions for places in town that might be fun for us to eat and drink?

Does anyone know if El Cozumeleno has jet skis for rental?

Thanks again!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel suggestions

Yep, right on the beach...and if for some reason they're not there in July, you can find them at the hotels next door to either side...

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel suggestions

Ah, the famous Antonio! Are you still the manager of the dive shop? How is the water up at El Coz? Is it sometimes murky? I've read some mention that the water up north is not as clear and nice as south of San Miguel.

We're very close to choosing our resort soon. Someone in our party got a reccomendation from a friend to stay in Playa del Carmen instead. They like the Riu chain and we might stay at the riu tequila instead of coz. We're all pretty laid back and are not looking for a big party hotel. Any suggestions with our choices?

THANKS!

Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel suggestions

I stayed at the RIU Yucatan last year. If you stay at the RIU Tequila you have exchange privilages with the Yucatan and Playacar and vise versa. The RIU Tequila is a nice resort, however, it is across the street from the ocean. You will have to walk across (or get a ride) across the street to use the beach at one of the other RIU resorts. I would not recommend this if you are a beach person. You will need to get up pretty early and go across to reserve sun chains for these fill up fast.

Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel suggestions

...Oops, ment to say sun chairs not sun chains,,,

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,417 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel suggestions

I have also heard nothing but good reviews on the El Cozumeleno .

And dont believe Antonio is with any dive shop.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel suggestions

Sorry! Don't know why I thought so. Maybe I misread some posts!

thanks again for all the feedback-