We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation in Cozumel

Brooklyn, New York
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transportation in Cozumel

Hello all,

I am headed to Cozumel on April 18th for 7 nights of pure fun (so I hear from you all). I had the option of paying $37 ($74 for 2) for round trip transportation between the airport and the hotel. I researched prior to booking that a cab ride would cost much less to the hotel, which is in the Hotel Zone 4 (or down south) approx. 7 miles away.

Anyhoo.... I decided to try the cab.. I have to walk a little to the street and catch it. Also thinking about renting a car for a day to roam the island a bit. I heard that I can be detained for getting into an accident.

Please share your experiences on transportation in cozumel, specifically taxi's, car rental and RESTAURANTS..or anything Cozumel (it's my first trip to Mexico). All inclusive hotel is not going to deter me from trying some local gastric fares. Thank you and your tips are greatly appreciated.

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation in Cozumel

$74 round trip is expensive! You have another option if you don't want to schlep your bags to the street (if you're carry on only no problem) you can get shuttle van tickets one way at the airport.. just watch out for the time share sharks! When you exit customs through the sliding glass doors ignore the "tourist advisory" people and go to the "taxi" window (to the right) and let them know where you are going. Usually it's $8.00 per person for shared van in your zone.. so you'll save a little $$ and time by schlepping your bags but not much.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation in Cozumel

Look to the right in the box entitled Top Questions: How do I arrange transportation to my hotel. That $37. option is the exact same thing that you buy for about $8. US at the airport for shared shuttle van...whatta scam. Buy a ticket after you get thru customs and proceed outside to the shared vans. See also "Rental car info". If you are concerned about an auto accident or car damage at all...rent from Thrifty and get zero deductible. Lots of folks like ISIS...but there is a deductible. Don't expect rental cars there to be very pretty...beaters are fine w/ us. I'm so glad to see that alot of posters recently whom are doing AI are also going exploring....YAY! Have a wonderful vacay.

3. Re: Transportation in Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 16:16