We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Maid???

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping Maid???

I usually tip the maid $10/day we stay. Is that the proper amount or should I tip more, or less?

Edited: 19 March 2011, 19:34
North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping Maid???

We tip $2.00 in the AM and $2.00 at turn down service time and we leave $2.00 in the minibar for refilling.

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping Maid???

You kinda leave a trail of reeces pieces... LOL! Great idea, thanks.

oz
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping Maid???

I always give cold hard cash plus surprises, ie little tea light candles, lotions, candy. I have a friend of mine that knows spanish write a note saying that the gifts and money are for her. By the end of the trip I have met the maid and know a little more about her and her family , if she has children and so on. On my last day there I make sure to give her the card( that I had my friend write that says she did a great job) and I tuck 50 bucks inside.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping Maid???

Whoa Nellie...I better up my ante. We leave cash and gifts everyday. Where are you staying Sawyersdad? Matt/Beth-We stay in places with no turn down service or mini bar. We usually leave $4. per day with a nice note of "Thanks". Like I said...I need to up my ante.

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping Maid???

Well I must be Mr. Cheapo because I leave $2.00 a day for the maid and I think $10.00 is wayyyy overboard ..JMHO

safe travels...jimmy

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping Maid???

My husband just told me that we leave $2. not $4....so we must be be cheap too. Will re-adjust this next visit.

Rockwood, Michigan
Level Contributor
697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping Maid???

When I stayed in a hotel we left $4.00 a day, last year we stayed in a condo just two people..... We were pretty clean not much to clean up after we left $5.00 a day....

This year we are staying in a condo again but it will be four people I am planning to leave $7 - $8 a day....

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping Maid???

Whether $2 USD a day is too little is a lesser issue than the probability that many (perhaps most) people may not tip period. I know that I did not initially until I learned more about the pay scale.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
265 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping Maid???

I left 40 pesos a day plus whatever coins we had from the previous day which was usually an additional 10-15 pesos. $10 per day seems like a lot to me for a single hotel room, if it were a suite or similar that's a different story.

Edited: 19 March 2011, 21:47
texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping Maid???

I was surprised that the grocery store baggers work for tips only. Please tip them! Most folks have no idea.