We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental liability ?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Car rental liability ?

If you rent a car, have full coverage insurance and get in a accident with injuries, do you have to pay for the lost work wages out of pocket before you are able to leave country? I have done a lot of research about Cozumel and have never heard this, but I was on cruise critic this morning and read a horrible story about this. The person had full coverage insurance, severly hurt 2 people on a moped and spent 3 days in jail because he couldn't pay the wages lost in cash. Just checking the validity of the story. If true, I may reconsider renting car while in Coz. Hope not, cuz I do enjoy the freedom of a rental car!!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental liability ?

Theres a long 'car rental' thread here regarding that story and yes its true.

oz
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental liability ?

What I did not see that thread do you have a link?

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental liability ?

It's under a thread called Car Rental from March 25th.

http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com

It's the 2nd and 3rd blog down...not the most recent one.

Edited: 28 March 2011, 01:52
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental liability ?

its over there to your right?

oz
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental liability ?

Wow I never knew about the lost wages deal. starting to rethink the renting a car, maybe will support taxi union again.

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental liability ?

The way I am understanding it is that if you rent from a reputable rental car agency/company, that has insurance...yes, those things would be paid for under the full insurance that you purchased.

I have to admit, that blog really raised my awareness to the corrupt nature of the Mexican police. Therefore, I am taking several different measures to do everything I can to protect myself and my husband while there...and driving. :)

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,919 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental liability ?

In order to cover damages to others like lost wages etc. You would have to purchase Additional Liability Insurance (ALI). Hertz and Avis I do believe carry this option. it is also known as SLI ( Supplemental Liability Insurance)

and PLI (Personal Liability Insurance).

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
365 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental liability ?

My husband is very against renting a car because of the reasons posted on this thread. I really want to rent one & explore the island on our own at least one or two days. So, if we rent from Hertz or one of the "big name" companies they will have this insurance to cover ALL damages including loss of wages?? I hate the thought of paying a driver to take us around the island & have them hang out & wait while we do what we want. That is hardly my idea of a wonderful day alone!!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,919 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental liability ?

Avis has a Property damage/public liability up to MEP350,000 (US$36,670.00) that is included in accordance with insurance laws of country. Theft of, or damage to parts and accessories are not covered.

ALI coverage can increase property damage and public liability to MEP5,000,000 (US$524,300.00)

I think the person in the Blog above rented from a Car Rental company that did not have adequate coverage for their vehicles. He did not state the Rental Company, therefore I think that it wasn't from a major Rental Company.

Edited: 28 March 2011, 05:34
cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental liability ?

He said he had rented the jeep for $60 and had purchased the premium insurance policy for $35.00. I was told early on with regard to criminal affairs in Cozumel, it is not so much what you did, but who you did it to and how well connected. There was also the implication which could be true, that the victims' attorney might have been promising them much more than should be expected and could be placing them at risk of receiving far less than fair compensation for lost wages.

The man states he had been told they made about $10 dollars a day and they would lose a month of wages from compound fractures of their leg. They could well be their total salary, or like many people that work in positions that pay a lot of tips, these are the final few months to earn money for the long dead season when incomes for many plummet through the cellar. People involved could have been greedy or they could have been seeking fair and just compensation.

It was said that the insurance would cover any and all damages and total medical costs involved. I would have to ask an attorney what is typical in liability coverage with regard to lost wages. I don't buy all the papers every day, nor do I read all the online editions. I saw nothing regarding this incident and only one case that was very news worthy that might be the "saved and converted" Alan as he referred to his cellmate. I like the quote that the American representative,who in her 20 years of service (actually 15) had never seen the Cozumel jail where he was being held.

As added complications, these are the last few weeks of an administration that is about to change along with a lot of political appointments. Who knows what agendas and by whom might have been in the mix.