We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Shoes and floating devices

Lenexa, Kansas
11 posts
Save Topic
Water Shoes and floating devices

Hi there! First, can anyone recommend a good brand of water shoes to get for our trip? We've been looking around but aren't sure which are good and which aren't.

Also--I am not a very strong swimmer at all. Since there is no real beach and Cozumel Palace I am a little nervous about jumping in from the dock. I think I would feel more comfortable if I had a floating device (such as a raft or life jacket or something). Do they have any of those or should we bring our own?

The next 47 days need to fly by! I can't wait to get there!!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Shoes and floating devices

I got some water shoes at Walmart. Cheap and adequate.

If you are not a good swimmer, please do not rely upon anything that is not firmly on your body.

Raft? No way.

Handheld flotation device. Negative.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
559 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Shoes and floating devices

I believe The Palace has inflatable vests for snorkeling, there is also a life guard on duty. I know the dive shop has them for the snorkel tours.

Cheers!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Shoes and floating devices

I have bad feet and swear by Keene sandals. Great for swimming, hiking, and walking around town.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Shoes and floating devices

Definitely use a snorkel vest the first time out.

If you are snorkeling, you will likely find that the combination of fins and salt water will make you bouyant enough you can be secure without one.

Cobourg, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Shoes and floating devices

Vibram Five Fingers... Fantastic!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Shoes and floating devices

Forgot to mention...you can deflate your vest at any point and see how it feels without the aid of the vest....if you are ok, leave it off next time.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Shoes and floating devices

Just get cheap water shoes at walmart for about $8. They work perfectly fine and you aren't going to use them alot anyway...unless you have a river or something at home.

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
365 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Shoes and floating devices

We just buy our water shoes @ WalMart or Target. We do go fresh water snorkeling here @ home all the time & find that no matter how much you do or don't spend on your shoes the rocks, sand, etc tend to destroy the shoes pretty quickly!! I always take two pair everywhere we go that has to do with water. Also, I can not stand a life jacket. Too constricting. My husband is an extremely strong swimmer & I'm an okay swimmer. We use those foam "noodles" that you can buy pretty much everywhere for a dollar. They are absolutely perfect for using while snorkeling. You can use them so many different ways & they come in bright colors that will help you be seen by boats, they weigh nothing at all & are easy to pack curled up on the bottom of a suitcase. The next 162 days need to fly by for us!!! Zoom zoom!!!!

Bayfield, WI
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Shoes and floating devices

Comments like these make me cringe!

"If you are snorkeling, you will likely find that the combination of fins and salt water will make you bouyant enough you can be secure without one."

"Forgot to mention...you can deflate your vest at any point and see how it feels without the aid of the vest....if you are ok, leave it off next time."

People need to respect the power of the ocean and the unexpectated; both which can result in a fatality. Even strong swimmers are no match as much as they think they are and things occur to the body when you least expect it..

I learned the hard way in Hawaii about ten years ago swimming without a PFD and am lucky to be here. I do not float in salt water and sink like a rock which I found out after getting caught in a very strong current which eventually zapped my strength.

I will NEVER enter the ocean again without a PFD. NEVER!

Please take this very seriously.

10. Re: Water Shoes and floating devices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2012, 00:17