We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Azul Beach

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bayfield, WI
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Azul Beach

We are staying at the Casita Del Maya across from the airport for our brief two day stay. We have complimentary access to Playa Azul Beach and are considerinng

Being that we really only have one full day to explore COZ, we want to maximize our time to meet our main goal; find quality snorkeling. I realize the Playa offers off shore snorkeling but is it worth our time? We plan on driving down to the park on the far south end and go out to the reef in the afternoon and use the kayak service.

Thanks for your comments.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,851 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Azul Beach

My suggestion: Go to Playa Palancar in the morning and take their boat snorkel trip. Save any shore-based snorkeling for later.

MI
Level Contributor
630 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Azul Beach

Just stayed at Playa Azul last week. Been going there for years and love the off-shore snorkeling. I can't tell you how good the snorkeling is off of Palancar because I have not been there; I don't do boats unless absolutely necessary (seasick).

Here's my opinion. Go to Playa Azul. Wear coral walkers and walk south down to Cozumel Caribe (about 250 yards). They have a swim platform at the very south end of the hotel. You can go in there and float with the current all the way back down to Playa Azul without even needing flippers. You will see lots of fish including a few Baracuda. They have cruise ships bring in snorkeling tours almost every day but they don't arrive til 10:30-11 am and it sounds as if you will be going before that.

If you are adventurous you could float all the way down past the Sol Cabanas (abandoned hotel) to the Cozumeleno (about 400 yards north) and see even more. You then get out on the beach and walk back south to Playa Azul. The current was very strong last week (it usually is) and you probably would not be able to swim back (even with flippers) after you pass the abanded restaurant at Sol Cabanas and there is nowhere to safely get out until you hit the Cozumeleno.

If you choose to use flippers, bring coral walkers in a net bag because there are lots of broken shells along that stretch of beach. Also, when you get down there, Cozumeleno has showers right off the beach to rinse off before your walk back.

Playa Azul offers a full bar and they have a wonderful menu for lunch. Have a great time and let us what you did.

MI
Level Contributor
630 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Azul Beach

I wanted to add - even if you are a strong swimmer, the currents around the Caribe (south end) and past the abandoned restaurant (north of Playa Azul) are very strong, do not underestimate their power. You may want to take a PFD if you are unsure. They rent all of that equipment at Caribe.

I've done this off-shore snorkeling for many years but even so, got caught up in the current past that abandoned restaurant and had no choice but to float down and get out at Cozumeleno where there is a sandy beach (it's all rocky before that). Not trying to scare you off but it surprised me. It may panic you if you were unprepared.

There is a small cove right at the abandoned hotel (before the restaurant) where it is really easy to get out and a much shorter walk back to Playa Azul. Say Hi to Iggy for me (an Iguana who is usually sunny himself on the rocks over there!)

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Azul Beach

What we usually do is wear our sandals for the walking part and then just slip them over our wrists for the drift snorkeling. One sandal over each wrist and you're ready to go. We like to get in the water at the dock at Coral Princess.

Edited: 30 March 2011, 14:05
5. Re: Playa Azul Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 19:18