We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime on Cozumel

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Crime on Cozumel

How safe is it to lock things in the trunk of your rental car? We are planning a day trip to Cozumel and plan to tour the East side in the am. Have lunch and end up at Paradise Beach Club to meet the Fury for their sunset snorkel tour. Paradise closes at 6pm but we may not get back till 7pm or so. Do you think it would be safe to leave anything in the trunk at Paradise?

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime on Cozumel

Last trip to Cozumel there were many people walking around with crowbars looking for trunks to break into.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime on Cozumel

OP -

PedroNewmarket's comment, I'm sure, is intended as sarcasm. Many people don't understand Canadian humour / humor. I do though because I am one.

Relax, I'm sure you'll be fine.

The only crime I've EVER witnessed in my 8 trips to the island is how fast a week in Paradise goes by. That crime happens to me every single time!

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime on Cozumel

Locked in a trunk, very safe. Sitting in a jeep, it may be gone in ten minutes. Visible valuables in unlocked cars, especially jeeps, can be gone in seconds and that is for real. Your things should be OK at Paradise Beach, in the truck, but don't forget to lock the car too!

Edited: 31 March 2011, 23:15
Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
365 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime on Cozumel

Ha ha ha @ Pedro!!! I completely understand why Secrets would ask this question!! When I began search for the *perfect* tropical location for our 25th anniversary trip I was SHOCKED to read some of the warnings about other islands!!! One recommended that if you rented a car you left the windows down, doors unlocked, trunk ajar & absolutely nothing inside-this was about Bonair. Otherwise it WOULD be broken in to!!! Crazy!!! Another said if you left anything on the beach to take a dip in the water don't expect it to be there when you came out even if you were only a few feet away. Not my idea of a relaxing vacation!!! So, I was BEYOND thrilled when I started researching Cozumel & found that the deeper I dug the safer the island appeared. I haven't been there yet, but take it from someone who has done enough research to write a book I'm thrilled with our choice of islands & positive it's going to prove to be a SAFE place when I get there!!!

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime on Cozumel

We have a home on Cozumel and although neither of us are retired we still manage to spend a significant amount of time there. I'm writing this enjoying the evening breeze and quite comfortable evening here on Cozumel.

As others have posted out of sight is out of mind. Lock your car, put your things in the trunk and they should be there when you get back.

We park our car on the street sometimes and have never had the first problem.

Edited: 01 April 2011, 01:13
The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime on Cozumel

The biggest crime I know happening in Cozumel is a person going directly to their AI from the airport and directly back after a vacation without ever seeing anything else of the island. That's a down right crime !!!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime on Cozumel

Thank you Cozumeldiver.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime on Cozumel

This brought me a chuckle, as I remember having my leftover pizza swiped from my car in the USVI.

Douglas, Wyoming
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime on Cozumel

was wanting to no how the crime is in cozumel the town.i will have my wife and 2 little girls with.and r they haveing the drug wars down ther

Douglas, Wyoming
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime on Cozumel

was wondering the crime in the city of cozumel.i will have my wife and 2 little girs.what we need to watch for and r the drug wars going on in cozumel