We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sam's In Town

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
403 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sam's In Town

Not sure if this is good or bad, but I think would sure take a bite out of the atmosphere we all love on Coz. I guess it is a nice touch for those living on Coz though.

Found online today:

"Retail chain, Walmart Mexico and Central America, confirmed, yesterday, that they are building two new stores on the island, with plans to open in late June this year.

The Sam’s Club membership warehouse and Bodega Aurrera discount superstore are being constructed next to each other, in a new development area just over a mile inland from downtown Cozumel."

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sam's In Town

I wonder how many locals can afford the yearly fees at Sam's? I understand why many will welcome these stores. No matter where they are situated..I am not. Cozumel just keeps on a-gettin' bigger and bigger . But is it better?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,048 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sam's In Town

Many people I know on the island already go to the mainland to shop at Sams--I think plenty can affored it. And the Walmart folks are some of the best in the world with market research--so you can be certain they already know that.

Really sorry to hear it but knew it would happen. At least they didnt build their eyesore big boxes on waterfront.

Edited: 08 April 2011, 23:33
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sam's In Town

A bit more info here, but things could change.

www.cozumel-hotels.net/yabbse/index.php…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
918 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sam's In Town

My friends that live there are happy about the store. Its almost a whole day to go to Sams in Playa and bring everything back. I would imagine that it will be a whole lot easier for the folks that have a biz on the island to get supplies. They to are happy that it will not be located in a real visible spot.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sam's In Town

We just moved away from a small west Texas town where there was one grocery...just one. We had to drive 150 miles round trip to buy fish, coffee beans and a myriad of other things. You learn to adapt and enjoy those special things when you can get them. We adapted for four years and are thrilled to live a larger town with TWO BIG grocery stores. I have fish and beans!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,048 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sam's In Town

My friends are also happy about the not too visible location. When the Mega location was first really dismayed with the location. But at least, Mega builds fairly attractive exteriors unlike the Walmart, Sams, etc., boxes.

Dousman WI
Level Contributor
24 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sam's In Town

Why o why would they allow a Sams club or wal-mart in Cozumel. If I wanted the big box stores I would stay home .Next year I'll vacation in Milwaukee then I can have Mcdonalds,Target,Wal-mart and every other chain at my exposal (NOT) THIS WHY I GO ON VACATION is to get away from this stuff . Just my opinion sorry

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
918 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sam's In Town

They have them there because there are people who live there and need to be able to get supplies for their homes and businesses without spending a day to go to Playa and then get someone to deliver it back to the island for them. The good news is that is is back in the hood and as a tourist, you will most likely never see it.

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sam's In Town

The reason they allow a Wal Mart and Sam's on the island is of course money. Money for the land, money for the government, and who knows who else.

There are some 75,000 residents who call Cozumel home. If you're going there for vacation you take most of what you need.

For those of us that have a residence there it has always been hard to get things that we need. Sam's carries things that you simply cannot find now on Cozumel.

To go to Sam's in Playa in a vehicle costs 380 pesos for a car or 920 pesos for a pickup loaded or unloaded each way.

Then you have to make sure that you can get what you need and make it back to the car ferry at least an hour before departure and that's cutting it close. It's a real pain and literally takes all day.

The Sam's will be a 10 minute drive from my house so I see it as a plus.

Breckenridge, TX
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sam's In Town

If Sam's can help Coz and its residents, then great but if it just a $$$ thing for Sam Walton Enterprises----why take away from the local Mexican businesses----sure I will get lots of feed back on this post----us ole' Texans go to Coz to get away from the local yokels and enjoy what is there-----after first trip many years ago, we now pack much fewer "things" and get by just fine as Mexico is laid back and the people are fantastic regardless of what frilly things you wear!!!