We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi drivers get commissions from some restaurants

Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi drivers get commissions from some restaurants

Note that the taxi drivers receive "commission" from many of the restaurants in Cozumel and steer tourists away from those that do not pay this commission. They also charge the tourists a little higher rate to take you to the non-participating restaurants (approximately $4 more). Don't let the taxi drivers deter you from going to the best places!

indiana
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi drivers get commissions from some restaurants

I had heard of the commissions from some places, but you should not have been charged more to go where you wanted to go.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi drivers get commissions from some restaurants

We just ask for La Plaza or El Centro and then walk from there.

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi drivers get commissions from some restaurants

Another reason to rent a car.

New York
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi drivers get commissions from some restaurants

before some of you go hop of this wagon, don't you want to know what this OP is talking about...

'Where was she when she hailed a taxi? Where did she want to go? How did she know she was being charged more? What is "MANY" taxi's being paid commissions?

To be honest, restaurants can't afford to pay commission to anybody...

The ONLY paid taxi's that I know of is for Diamond's International, it only applies to cruisers, and it is only to the Forum shops.

Edited: 24 April 2011, 20:18
texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi drivers get commissions from some restaurants

Taxis are paid commission by certain restaurants. Which ones?? I'm not sure but know that it's been done for years and years.

In a recent instance, some people wanted to go to Prima's and ended up at Rolandi's and hated it.

In the past, folks have asked for Tony Rome's and told on more than one ocaission that he was dead and his place was closed.

It happens.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi drivers get commissions from some restaurants

I have seen it happen many many times......La Mission directly comes to mind. Next time you taxi to a restaurant, after you pay and get out of the taxi, if there is a waiter or someone waiting outside the restaurant, do a double take and watch the tip be given. Happens fairly often....

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi drivers get commissions from some restaurants

Easy solution.....don't ask the the taxi drivers for recomendations. This is the way of life there.....everyone makes a dollar however they can. Have you looked at the prices in the grocery stores? It's hard to believe they can even feed their families on what they make before tips and commissions.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi drivers get commissions from some restaurants

A lot of times though they pull the "I don't know where that is" or "Sorry senior - it's closed" routine to direct people to places they will get a tip/finders fee....you know it happens even more so with POD people I bet!

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi drivers get commissions from some restaurants

Of course taxi drivers get something for changing your plans about you destination -- be it a store, a beach club, or a restaurant. Happens almost everywhere I've ever traveled. The people who give you a "free drink with meal" or other discount card get something, too. As do hotel concierges who make reservations for you -- actually those collect at both ends since most guests tip for the service. Rewards per person are small, and they're not always cash, but they do add up over time.

Anyway, this shouldn't be a surprise.

But I've never heard of a taxi driver up charging if customers refuse the offer. Best advice is to ask the fare before you get into a cab. And, if possible, research in advance of your trip so that you can ballpark the correct taxi rates.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,423 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi drivers get commissions from some restaurants

Good info from ds2. Of course, many of the tourist restaurants and many businesses pay a commission. Just how it is. Local jewelry stores often sponser nice parties at Christmas---I go with a friend who is a tour guide. Same for the beach clubs---they often sponser family events at their clubs for the drivers.