We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gouged by an ATM in Cozumel

Gouged by an ATM in Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2015, 18:12
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gouged by an ATM in Cozumel

Did you take out Pesos or US Dollars? If you took out Dollars, the fees are correct.

2. Re: Gouged by an ATM in Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2015, 18:12
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gouged by an ATM in Cozumel

Which ATM did you use? I have used numerous bank ATMs here and the fees have always been stated on the screen before I proceeded.

Now I use a Bank of American ATM card, there are no fees at Santander.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gouged by an ATM in Cozumel

I have used them for many years and never a problem. First, did you use a bank ATM or a privately owned one. And as Dan asked, did you get dollars? If you did either you have opened yourself to all kinds of high fees.

When getting dollars you are doing a double conversion so not a good idea.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gouged by an ATM in Cozumel

This comes up over and over again - withdrawing dollars is withdrawing a foreign currency (like withdrawing yen from an ATM in New York!). You get charged a fee for converting pesos (that the ATM company owns) to the dollars that you receive and then a fee for buying those pesos from your home dollar bank account. Plus you have ATM fees on top. The ATM company makes a killing!

Someone on another forum (Cabo I think) complained to their bank and got the fees refunded. The bank contacted the ATM company and filed a complaint and it seems this company will refund the charges too. So if you feel strongly enough keep complaining and maybe one day these ridiculous machines will be decommissioned.

Mentioned in this post
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gouged by an ATM in Cozumel

We could have advised you had you asked before going.

In a foreign country, withdraw their national currency from ATMs.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gouged by an ATM in Cozumel

It was a privately owned ATM. I wondered if it was you that I saw using one. Use a bank ATM. It is like those phones.....calling home made easy, it is just real expensive.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
186 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gouged by an ATM in Cozumel

Yikes! I'm sorry...I would have been furious. I think this topic should be among the Top Questions in the right hand corner just because I've seen so many discussions with this. Before traveling to Cozumel I read alot about ATM fees and scams and such and learned that I should only take money out using the bank ATMs. I'm not sure why anyone would take out US dollars in a foreign country, but it would be a better idea to just bring the cash if you would rather use it. I was even told by the people at the hotel to never use the ATMs on the street that say US Dollars on them. I used the Scotia Bank once and the one in the middle of the plaza most frequently (HSBC hated my card and kept spitting it back at me, so never got $ from there) and the fees I paid were, on average, less than what I would pay here at a random ATM. I almost tried to get pesos at an ATM in Atlanta Airport until i saw the fees and decided to wait till we got to Mexico...so clearly we also charge a ridiculous exchange rate, not just Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Mexico
Mexico
North America
The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gouged by an ATM in Cozumel

This is in the Top Questions on the right under Money Questions. So sorry this happened to you - but hopefully you loved the island and surely can't blame the whole destination for an ATM mishap. I really wish more people will come here to TA first and learn some of these issues to prevent it. But with that said -it happened to me too a few years ago and I should have known better. I used an ATM on the side of a building and because I was used to getting $$ from an ATM in Mexico I didn't pay attention like I should have and ended up with US dollars instead of pesos. I was really mad because I knew how much it had just cost me and how much it was still gonna cost to use them instead of pesos !!! Learned the hard way to take that extra few steps to the bank atm ! But I blamed myself -not Cozumel.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gouged by an ATM in Cozumel

Sorry that happened to you, but it really does pay to do your research.

I'm sure many of us have learned the hard way at times. I know it doesn't help you any to hear this, but I guess we can just chalk it up to one of those "mistakes" we make.

Again, don't mean to sound harsh.