We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in shallow water

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling in shallow water

When I was in Cozumel I did a sailboat to a snorkeling reef. The 1st stop we did we were in about 15 to 20' of water. The 2nd stop which was actually near the 1st place but just deeper. It was around 30 - 35' of water. There were some large fish that would swim around us cause the guide was feeding them. The smaller colorful fish like butterflys & queen angel fish stayed way at the bottom. I would love to go back but this time snorel in about 5 - 8' of water. Is there good snorkeling in that depth around the island.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in shallow water

Nobody should feed the fish...ever.

There is o.k.shore snorkeling at the shallower depth. Why do you want it to be that shallow?

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in shallow water

The shallow snorkeling will be at the beach clubs. I snorkel a bit deeper on the north side from our condo and it's good. Also I HATE when on a snorkel tour and they feed the fish - I do not like the feeding frenzy around me. Just ask them not to do it if it's just you and your family - or ask them not to do it around you if there are more people on the tour. I will get out of the water fast if they feed the fish - I got bit by a big black one once in the frenzy - not my idea of a paid good time !

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in shallow water

Plus it's just not healthy for them or politically correct to feed the fish.

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
365 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in shallow water

We were snorkeling a few years ago & some comical folks on a bridge decided to throw fish food in to the water all around us & the fish went INSANE!! And, while I agree that it was creepy & not something I would want to experience again (think piranha-like) I don't understand the *politically incorrect* aspect here. Feeding sharks I can see as BIG TIME wrong in all ways, but to just offer a bit of food to regular fish doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Well if you aren't tossing it on top of people anyway. I know I won't be feeding the fish PERIOD 'cause like I said one bad B movie-like scene was enough for me!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling in shallow water

I'm not sure why it is politically incorrect but in terms of health, it isn't good for fish to be eating things like bread rolls - that is, food they wouldn't eat if it were not for humans. It can cause problems as their bodies are not designed to eat that sort of stuff. Plus, if fish get dependent on being fed, they lose the skills to find their own (why it isn't a good idea to have a bird feeder outside of wintertime too).

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling in shallow water

I have a buddy who is famous for loading his pockets with gravel before snorkeling......then tossing it in front of friends, so the fish swarm them thinking its food. You would love it TXgal!

Retemrap

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling in shallow water

https:/…5416049272152459970

Not counting the things the sign says there is the problem of them swarming unsuspecting swimmers who might panic, plus they will often bite while waiting for the hand out. We can't live on their diet & they can't live on ours, but they aren't smart enough to realize that. They have a habit of swallowing things without knowing what it is just so that the other fish can't have it.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
186 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling in shallow water

check out the post for playa corona...there and money bar are two places good for shallow snorkeling...i'm sure there are other places as well...those are the only ones we went to that i can speak of though....

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling in shallow water

I am glad someone else besides me finds snorkeling in deep water boring.

I like to see the marine life up close.

Maybe it has to do with your initial snorkeling experiences.... but I find that snorkeling 20-30' leaves a lot to be desired.

texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling in shallow water

I suppose I chose the wrong words (politically incorrect). Emmaedwards said what I was thinking.

My husband does not like to snorkel in deep water either. I like both because it presents two different sets of things to see.