We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report May 2011

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canal Winchester...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report May 2011

Arrived May 12th (Thursday) on Delta, took the shared van to ISIS and picked up a 4 door Volkswagen Pointer stick shift. Margarita gave us lots of parking and driving tips, we would not rent from anyone else!

We drove to Playa Azul and checked in and headed straight to the beach! We sat on the beach until dinner time and then walked around the Plaza. A quick stop at the grocery store (more like a convenience store) on the north side of town

to stock up on beer and soda.

May 13th (Friday) we spent limin' on the beach until dinnertime. Our friends arrived at the hotel and we all went to dinner and again walked around the square.

May 14th (Saturday) we took a drive around the island and then back to our beach at Playa Azul.

May 15th (Sunday) again sand gravity at it's best....we sat on the beach all day!

May 16th (Monday). Took another tour of the island again. Our first stop was at the Humane Society http://humanecozumel.org/ We were surprised at how nice the facility was...super clean and a nice staff. You can tell they have done amazing work to reduce the stray population on the island. They even

have a free spay/neuter program available to everyone. We toured the facility and they had about 60 dogs / cats. We left a donation then continued to the East side of the island.

We skipped many of the beach clubs

because off cruise boat tours. Our first stop was Playa Bonita. The ocean was considerably calmer than our drive 2 days previously. Playa Bonita is a

nice stretch of sand, water calm and fairly shallow. Our next stop was Chen Rio, but we were not impressed....mainly because there was a rotting smell in the air. We had planned to eat at Chen Rio but decided to move on.

May 17th (Tuesday) Spent the morning shopping in town......we learned that any store that did not ask you to come in we liked. We found some trinkets

for our kids and jewelry for our moms at Los Cinco Soles and Sergios. Then back to Playa Azul to relax some more on the beach until dinner time.

May 18th (Wednesday) Back shopping for something more for my mom who watched our kids and dogs.

Found Wet Wendy's...a super friendly nice bar (they also serve food). Wet Wendy's has a jewelry store that has amazing unique jewelry...I bought several things!! If you are looking for some unique one of kind pieces, this is the place to check out and prices were reasonable to what I pay in the States. We also met the CHURRO MAN (Javier) at Wet Wendy's. His churros were the best we had....yummy!!! We had him make us 25

to take home! Then back to Playa Azul for more limin on the beach.

May 19th (Thursday) Departure day L After eating breakfast spent a couple hours on the beach before we needed to pick up our Churros from Javier. My

husband stopped for gas after he picked up the churros. He went to the PEMEX at 70th Avenue and the island crossroad. The man tending the pump was very nice and forthright. We had heard the stories of the pump tenders trying to cheat tourists. This man zeroed the pump without asking. When

given the appropriate amount in dollars (converted in my husband's head from the displayed Pesos) he did not try and ask for more. The car would not

start after filling it up. The man got a coworker and pushed the car so he could start it. My husband offered him $5.00 as thanks. The man waved it off

for a handshake instead.

Pictures: flickr.com/photos/…

In general we found the food better at the places the locals frequent than at the touristy restaurants. Our favorite was El Moro! We also liked Otates (more of a local joint) and Kinta (not your typical local food, gourmet presentation). Next trip we will visit more local taqerias....the one we eat at had very yummy tacos al pastor.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report May 2011

Nice report and really enjoyed looking at your pictures.

Glad you had a great time.

You know their is no cure for "Cozaholics", don't you? ha ha

The first time I ever went, I cried the day we had to leave to go home. It's been in my blood ever since.

Honestly, I don't want to be "cured." lol

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report May 2011

Yes, a very nice easy to read report. }":{

Keller, TX
Level Contributor
123 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report May 2011

Thanks for the great TR and pics! I've really been eyeing Playa Azul - can you please tell me what the proximity is of their beach club to the guest beach? Just wondering if, because of the club, the beach feels crowded or loud? Do they share the same bar/restaurant on the beach?

Canal Winchester...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report May 2011

The beach was never crowded and never was loud. The beach club is right next door so you can see the chairs in this picture...the blue chairs are to the hotel and the green chairs are the beach club... flickr.com/photos/…set-72157626642776715

There is a restaurant and beach bar for the hotel itself (but can be used by anyone) then the beach club is seperate (in the picture it is the thatched roof place by the green chairs.

We like our privacy and quiet and never had a problem our entire stay...even when you would get the crusie ship people it was never bothersome (and on other islands we have been bothered by it)......it does not get hoards of people like other beach clubs.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. George's
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report May 2011

Great report! I want to go back... now!! Loved your "sand gravity at its best" comment. LOL.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report May 2011

whats that big pink thing in one of your pictures?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report May 2011

i may not have been clear its either a huge drink or a dessert of some kind, it looks yummy

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report May 2011

Great report...sounds like you had a great time. Excellent hotel choice IMO. I've not stayed there but I would in a heartbeat. Nice pics too!

naughtybutnice - the big pink thing is a margarita from Wet Wendy's. The OP will tell you what kind. :)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report May 2011

wow, thats a huge margarita...nice , ive read about wet wendys apparenly great coconut shrimp

Canal Winchester...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report May 2011

Yep it was margarita...a cherry margarita...they have all different flavors and combo flavors....it is a place I now consider as a "not to miss"!