We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dolphinaris or dolphin discovery chankanaab

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
216 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
dolphinaris or dolphin discovery chankanaab

which dolphin experience is better?

1. Re: dolphinaris or dolphin discovery chankanaab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 April 2012, 21:35
2. Re: dolphinaris or dolphin discovery chankanaab

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 April 2012, 21:35
Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dolphinaris or dolphin discovery chankanaab

"Neither"

Wow, that one doesnt seem to be listed by the OP as a choice.

pheslie, we did the Dolphinaris program and were quite happy with not only the amount of time spent with the dolphin, the trainers, and the whole place in general. Yes, the photos ops can be spendy, but I assume it is a once in a lifetime experience, and you will want at the very least some type of momento photo. They will work with you on price if you are persistent. If you are going to Chankanaab, like I think I saw one of your post referring to, you might want to just do that particular SWD. It get's good reviews from what I have seen.

And yes, this is a touchy subject, so you should at the very least if you havent already done so, do a little research on your own to see if this is something that you still want to do. We did....

Enjoy

Art

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dolphinaris or dolphin discovery chankanaab

There is a very similar topic on the front page still entitled "Cozumel Palace dolphin swim question" that discusses this topic at length. It's a rather controversial topic in case you hadn't noticed, so please do your research.

Cozumel Island
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: dolphinaris or dolphin discovery chankanaab

Great answer frog legs, JD. Very helpful. Your posts have nothing to do with the OP's question. But you guys are back with your typical stuff. Those posts should be marked inappropriate and removed.

JD, Froggy....if you could just see the irony of your ridiculous anti-SWD statements. I mean it is hilarious. You hate the SWD, claim to refuse to do business with those that promote it. Yet:TA is the number one seller of SWD excursions. If my ethical stance agains the SWD was as strong as yours I would refuse to particapate in a forum run by a company that is the leading seller of the excursion. Apparently you lack the courage of you convictions.

I actually talked to the operators of the SWD's in the Yucatan and asked why they would advertise with TA. They just laughed and said they made thousands of bookings through TA and the few that keep posting there "political" views of the program had zero effect on their bookings.

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dolphinaris or dolphin discovery chankanaab

And I have to agree with Cupcake too.

This forum is meant and intended to be a place to answer questions about the island of Cozumel. Please disregard ANYONE trying to influence whether you enjoy something or not. It's your vacation, not theirs.

Do your own research on swimming with dolphins on Cozumel or swimming with sharks on Isla Mujeres or swimming with whale-sharks off Holbox and if you think it is enjoyable then as the Nike ads say "JUST DO IT!"...

:)

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
816 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dolphinaris or dolphin discovery chankanaab

We had a whole school of dolphins swimming with us us out on the Tucan one day.

Thrill of a lifetime...and the pictures were free!

I don't participate in the SWD prgrams for ethical reasons, but the facilities at Chankanaab look to be far superior.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dolphinaris or dolphin discovery chankanaab

We should put the information regarding the SWD - manatees and sea lions in the Top questions and just give the information that is relevent to activity. Maybe....just maybe....there wouldn't be a controversial thread on the front page every single day.

I also do not participate in any of these - but I have had the opportunity to swim with dolphins in the wild in Hawaii - manatees in California off of Catalina Island - and I have never swam with a sea lion - but I think they are adorable too.

I think there is a line that should be drawn when trying to educate someone about the possible abuse some of these mammals may go through and trying to degrade people because of their choices. I know I was told in a helpful manner the first time I was told about the capture of the dolphins and the movie the Cove - had it been a negative attack - I would have gotten defensive and the message would have been lost.

I think for me...if I had people in my group that wanted to do this I would recommend Chankanaab. Reading the other posts it appears someone was able to pay a $5 fee to walk around the manatee area and take pictures. If that is so with all of them that would be a better deal I would think. As far as experience I think Chankanaab would provide a better one because you have the whole park to experience with it too.

9. Re: dolphinaris or dolphin discovery chankanaab

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2012, 06:20