We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

turtle rescue going on now?

Syracuse
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
turtle rescue going on now?

we will be arriving on saturday and would really love to help with the turtle effort, does anyone know if it is active at this time? we have missed it in the past and were so sorry.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: turtle rescue going on now?

The museum offered a hands on program with the baby turtle release last year, but not the turtle laying her eggs.

As far as I know there is not a public participation with the female turtles.

As a matter of fact, in the evenings, they close off the roads on the side for protection of the turtles.

I do know they take donations of supplies, like the headlamps with the strap and AA batteries, also surgical gloves. They use a lot of those. I've taken them on different occasions and they really appreciate it.

Edited: 26 May 2011, 04:23
texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: turtle rescue going on now?

There is a guided tour you can do to spot female turtles laying their eggs. I recently sent an email regarding this and got a reply and have lost the email.

I think it was through www.seaturtle.org/links/Ecotourism/

Also, google Conservation4Cozumel

They also have a list of much needed supplies.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: turtle rescue going on now?

That was written in 2008, but it didn't mention a public participation. If there is now, it's just been developed.

I spoke with someone just last week about it and at that time, nothing has been offered for any kind of public participation.

I will check again with my contact and see if there's been any changes.

Froglegs, who sent the email?

Edited: 26 May 2011, 05:15
texas
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: turtle rescue going on now?

Like I said...I lost the email so I can't tell you. I'm pretty sure it was written from Cozumel Marine Turtle Conservation Project.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: turtle rescue going on now?

That was on Cozumel Insider and I had checked on it last year. They do not do that any longer, as of last year. I'm trying to reach my contact to see if something else has been developed just in the last couple of weeks.

Things do tend to change very quickly on the little island.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: turtle rescue going on now?

We assisted in the release last August. It was an incredible experience.

Here are several short clips of what we did:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mslf500#p/u

(Wish I had put some of these with music to the "Flight of the Valkyries".)

Cozumel Island
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: turtle rescue going on now?

You can assist with the release in the late summer and fall. Per the egg laying....the turtles are not to be disturbed and that includes seeking them out when they lay their eggs. Thisw occurs mjostly at night, but there are always a handful of the turtles that wander up on the beach during the day, usually to the delight of the people that get to see it. The turtles are extremely vulnerable when egg laying, as once they actually start laying eggs they cannot stop until they are finished.

Cozumel Island
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: turtle rescue going on now?

Sorry about the spelling on that past post.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: turtle rescue going on now?

There is an article in today's paper that the first eggs of the 2011 turtle season have hatched. Out of 137 eggs in the nest 111 hatched successfully. The article does not say if all the baby turtles made it to the water safely or not.

Remember to keep your dogs off the beach!

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: turtle rescue going on now?

We actually got an opportunity to watch a turtle lay her eggs last year while we stayed in Akumal / Half Moon Bay - I should say my family had the opportunity - I went to bed early and they stayed outside. This year we will be staying in Akumal for 5 nights. There is a conservation group there that walks around with red filmed flashlights and you can join them to see the laying. They have walkie talkies and are in communication with each other all night. You can volunteer with them - but I haven't looked into their website yet. During the day on HMB there is a chance you'll see hatchings because there are nests EVERYWHERE - that's what the volunteers do - mark the nests after the turtles lay. It was awesome the 2 nights we stayed there last summer to wake up and see the turtle marking of where the female came out of the water and made her way up to the beach and then see the stones and flag up on a new nest. Hope I can stay awake this year and catch sight of one in the act.