We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dive Trip - need suggestions please!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Dive Trip - need suggestions please!

Looking into planning a dive trip... we are certified although beginners for the most part (less than 15 dives each).

We'd like a hotel on the beach, mid range, AI or not. Hopefully not too long a boat ride from major dive sites.

I've seen some people book hotel and diving independently or book hotel with diving included... pros/cons? What do you prefer and why?

Best time of year to go?

Thanks!

usa
Level Contributor
346 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dive Trip - need suggestions please!

Iberostar is the best resort on the island for divers...high quality for an ai, great dive shop on site, closest to the dive sites

book your trip with funjet and book your dives in advance with dressel divers

best time of the year imo would be april/may or october

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dive Trip - need suggestions please!

Thanks for the tips stkdog... I'll look into Iberostar and Dressel.

Branson, Missouri
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dive Trip - need suggestions please!

I'd highly recommend Scuba Club or Blue Angel for new divers, if you really want to focus on the diving. A decent shore dive at each and free unlimited tanks to take advantage of it. You can spend a lot of good time underwater working on skills, comfort level, and looking at little critters on those shallow shore dives.

jmho. Whatever you choose, have a great trip!

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dive Trip - need suggestions please!

One question I have...you said "less than 15 dives ea). is that over a long time period? Or, fairly close together, as in months or years?

If you're "rusty" then you could just do a beach dive first....that's what I did when not diving for a long time. It all just came back to me and then I was ready for the boat dives.

I'm just asking because I don't know it would pay that much to necessarily go to Blu Angel for the beach dives.

You might be happier at Iberostar, since is a much larger place....don't know if that matters to you.

I will add that there's many great dive ops in Coz that you can use, in case you choose a hotel that doesn't have a dive op, but most do. Since you're not familiar with Cozumel, I would check those options by doing a "search" on this site. Yes, it will take time, but it can also benefit you, since we all have our own preferences.

The place I stay at, I won't even mention (although a great place), because you want a hotel close to the sites and mine isn't. But if I were you, I wouldn't rule any out, because you just may get a better price.

Happy planning!

Ft.Worth Tx
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dive Trip - need suggestions please!

Most of the major dive sites are located on the West side of the island near the South end. There are three All Inclusive Resorts that are located on the Western shore on the south end. They are at about 1/4 mile intervals apart and you can reach most of the dive sites in 10 - 15 mins by boat from anyone of these hotels. The resorts are called the Allegro, Occidental Grand and the Iberostar.

Each resort has a different dive company on site. Each resort has different things to offer and each dive company is considered to be professional. Do a little comparing, one should fit your needs.

You can also book with many dive companies in town and they will pick you up at the hotels pier, so you are not limited to your resorts dive company.

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dive Trip - need suggestions please!

Great shore diving at Chankanaab Park if you want a refresher.

Enjoy!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dive Trip - need suggestions please!

Thanks for the feedback!

It's been a few years since we last had the opportunity to dive so we are planning a few refresher dives at a Scuba park within driving distance of home before the trip. That way we will be ready to go in Cozumel!!

A hotel with shore diving is tempting but this will have to be a short trip, only 3 or 4 nights so we will prob only have time for the site dives. For that reason as well the hotel need not be spectacular... just confortable and clean. We just did the fancy resort thing so this trip is just for diving!

Tennessee Ridge...
Level Contributor
293 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dive Trip - need suggestions please!

Why don't you consider hiring a private DM for your first day. That's what I just in May since I hadn't dove in 10 mos. Cost me $40. Well worth it.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dive Trip - need suggestions please!

Well, that gives us a better idea, knowing you haven't dove for years.

Yes, definitely hire a private DM. I always use one and the same person....Hector at Scuba Du. They're a very reputible dive op in Coz. All shaded boats. They'll pick up anywhere. If you like, you can check them out. www.scubadu.com

I'll be diving with them next week!

By the way, are you going to Athens Scuba Park?

Edited: 03 June 2011, 01:42
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dive Trip - need suggestions please!

Hadn't considered a private DM... will look into it.

Oceanfreak... We are thinking about going to Clear Springs in Terrell. I've researched both and visibilty seems to be better at Clear Springs. Thanks for the link! If you have any other links for diving near DFW or in Cozumel... please PM me!