We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - Melia June 5-10 - a little long.....

Granbury, Texas
Level Contributor
274 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - Melia June 5-10 - a little long.....

Okay, bear with me - have written reviews and asked questions but this is my first trip report.

Sunday - got on Continental at Houston airport with not much time to spare. Apparently they had some major computer problems and we were very lucky to make our flight. Many others didn't - would have been so sad to miss our first day. Got into Cozumel and through customs smoothly. Went straight to the Collectivo window and got our tickets. Into the cab and on our way to the Melia - dropped off two couples along the way. Easy check-in and on to our M-experience room and view. Beautiful. Headed down to the outdoor grill/snack area and had hamburgesas. Yum! Cerveza and sand and walk along the beach.

Monday - headed down for our first omelette of the trip and then off to shop! The square area is really improved over the years and we found some good bargains. I especially love the jewelry store that is down from Fat Tuesdays and kitty korner across from it. They fixed an earring that I had bought there years ago, polished them and my bracelet and gave us a great deal on a necklace and ring. Found Zermatt's bakery and had a snack. Stopped in to meet Margarita at Isis and her cat. Will definitely rent our next car there. Headed back for a late lunch, beach time and then dinner in the specialty grill restaurant. Entertainment was Mexican night and was really good.

Tuesday - mostly a beach day. Walked down past El Cozumeleno and hubby snorkeled and I sat in the shade of a palm tree with my book. Headed back and spent lots of time by the pool. Ate at Cafe Paraiso - muy bueno!

Wednesday - got our schedule for the Atlantis submarine and had the taxi driver drop us off by the cruise ship pier in town. Went to check out Mega and the Chedurai (and got snacks). Walked down past Dolphinarius and had a picnic on the beach. Flagged down the cab driver to get us to Atlantis. WHAT A GREAT EXCURSION - I am claustrophobic and afraid of deep water and it was great to be able to see what you divers do. Went down to 126 feet below - amazing. Ate lunch at Ernesto's - wonderful fajitas. Headed to Playa Corona for snorkelling and cervezas. More fish than we've seen there and the coral is coming back. Hated to leave. Got a tip from the cab driver on the way back so got cleaned up and headed for lobster dinner at La Perlita. Only $20 each for some of the best lobster we've had. Nice little place - will definitely be back.

Thursday - headed back into town for more exploring. Stopped in at La Mission for refreshments. Had dinner at Cafe Paraiso at the Melia again (SO GOOD). Entertainment was music throughout the ages - great dancers...

Friday - back to the airport. Easy on except for the new list of things you can't have in your carryon - no curling irons? Had to get it out and into the checked bag. Other than that - left on time and 25 minutes early back to Houston.

Ready for our next trip - sorry so long.....

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - Melia June 5-10 - a little long.....

Gracias for the report.

Never tried Atlantis. Maybe next trip. There always seems to be something missed, no matter how many times we return to this island paradise.

Texas
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - Melia June 5-10 - a little long.....

I enjoyed your report.

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - Melia June 5-10 - a little long.....

Nice report. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,372 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - Melia June 5-10 - a little long.....

Can you elaborate on the issues with Continental departing Houston?

Granbury, Texas
Level Contributor
274 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - Melia June 5-10 - a little long.....

CO Pilot - at Continental's counter for those of us that just had to check bags and already had checked in only a couple of the computers were working. They only had 3 people helping to get the tags on the bags and the lines went out the door of the terminal and down the sidewalk. We got there 2 hours early and started boarding 10 minutes after we got to our gate. Apparently the computers had shut down the night before and they were having trouble with all areas. Since there are only two flights out of Houston direct to Cozumel, it became a large problem.

Thankfully we were on the early flight and made it through.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - Melia June 5-10 - a little long.....

Great report. I love La perlita.

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - Melia June 5-10 - a little long.....

Great report, any photos?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - Melia June 5-10 - a little long.....

Sweet report! Seems like that week just flew by! We would love to see some photos too!

Granbury, Texas
Level Contributor
274 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report - Melia June 5-10 - a little long.....

Okay, here is a try at pictures...

travel.webshots.com/album/580334960WsnXzy

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report - Melia June 5-10 - a little long.....

Thank you !