We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel dilema

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel dilema

We have narrowed it down to the following hotels: Allegro Cozumel, El Cozumeleno, Sabor Resort and Spa. We are beach people, want to snorkel, enjoy good food, although we are not that picky, good service, nice views, cleanliness is important too. We like that the El Coz is close to town. We will probably take 2 trips there over a week. Mostly we like to spend the days on the beach, watch a show, in bed by 10.

What are your thoughts

Thank you

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel dilema

Everyone has their favorite, which is fine. I try to advise by the needs of the traveler.

Since I've stayed at El Coz, but not the other 2, I will only remark about El Coz. I was going to do my review tonight or tomorrow, but I will fill you in on what I've seen since my stay last week.

They constantly try to make changes for the better.

They are close to town, which is a plus for me. They have wonderful service and the staff is wonderful. They've turned the music down, since there have been some posts that it's too loud. The music in the El Cocal outside restaurant, has a softer, more pleasant music. Although, I didn't mind the fun, crazy stuff. After all it's vacation and I like it a little "upbeat" by the pool area. But really, there's not a hotel that people all like the very same things.

My husband and I both have such bad backs and we always request the foam "egg crates" for the top of the mattress.

Snorkeling is really good in front of the hotel and you can also walk south of the hotel to the old destroyed Sol Cabanas...you can't miss it. We sometimes, just snorkel back to El Coz.

Most of the time, I prefer to just order from the menu,instead of the buffet, unless, I'm just wanting veggies and salad or something light. I just play it by ear as to how hungry I am.

They have mini-golf right at the hotel, with oceanview! That's fun and a bit different.

That should give you a start in your choices. I personally, don't like to stay way out of town, even though I dive. Scuba Du just puts me in a taxi and pays for the trip. I return the same way.

If you've ever thought about diving, I recommend doing the free pool lesson and if you like it, you can do another lesson/beach dive for $65.US. They do that at Sunset Beach, just south of town.

El Coz is very clean. They are in a constant state of a little painting or repairing here and there, but nothing noisy. They save the big repairs for off=season in late September/Oct.

Happy planning!

PNW
Level Contributor
642 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel dilema

Just returned from El Cozumeleno. The place is great BUT for the food. I think it really depends on what you are used to eating. My son couldn't wait to get home to Dad's cooking again. I have to say it was close to the worst Resort food I have had. Unfortunately food is one of those key points for me.

It has to have good flavor.

I agree on the hard beds and I had no idea you could request an egg crate.

I also agree that the Discover Scuba is Great! We did it and ended up being certified as well. I think Luis and Fernando do an excellent job and were great with my son and another boy that did one dive with us. It made our trip. The only reason I would return to Cozumel would be to dive.

As Oceanfreak said the resort is very clean. I was frankly amazed at how well the staff keep everything quickly picked up. I truly think their staff is wonderful. Smiling, quick and courteous.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel dilema

The only reason you would return to Cozumel would be to dive?

Really? You didn't like Cozumel? shocker!

PNW
Level Contributor
642 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel dilema

Sorry. Not much. There are other places in Central America I enjoy a whole lot more. Belize and Costa Rica being 2. But then again I am not a lay on the beach kind of person either. Different places call different people. Cozumel was just not one that spoke to me at all. But that just leaves it less crowded for you ;) Continue to enjoy!

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel dilema

El Coz is close enough to town and cheap enough that we didnt feel guilty about eating in town a few years ago. We got tired of the food after about two days.

I prefer condos now though. I do miss meeting people but there are no lines to wait in and usually almost no one in the pools.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,685 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel dilema

I agree with stellerJ, some places speak to some people but not to others. And , I have to say , of the people who have visited me on Cozumel , it has probably been 50/50 on those who really liked it or it didnt speak to them. And while I have visited Cozumel more than 30 years before making the move, I have also visited many other places that I liked very much. But to me, Cozumel was a good choice with beautiful beaches, nice people and its proximity to the USA and other places I wanted to visit.

The OP has a difficult decision. El Coz is a good mid range hotel but so many other good choices on the island depending on likes and budget. Good luck in your decision and enjoy.

Austin
Level Contributor
152 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel dilema

We have been going to El Coz for the past 8 or 9 years. On one trip we decided to go to the Allegro because we got a better deal. Huge mistake for us. One of the things I love about El Coz is that you are surrounded by this beautiful ocean. You are able to enjoy it while you eat, a few feet away from the surf, you can see it when you first wake up in the morning and also enjoy hearing the waves all night if you choose to crack your sliding door while you sleep. The pool is a few feet from it and while you lay on your lounge chair you still can look up and see this beautiful ocean that Coz offers. At the Allegro the dining felt like any hotel in any city, tucked back in a large building somewhere where you have no idea that you are near an ocean.

The food at El Coz is acceptable to say the least. We always find things we love, the breakfast is amazing! The omlettes and fresh fruit are delish! In fact most times not that hungry by lunch because of such a huge breakfast. We always eat at La Veranda at least 2 or 3 times while we are there and it has always been wonderful.

We have never had an issue with the beds, and strange because we both have bad backs but the firmness of the mattress has never been a problem.

All in all, I guess it just depends on why you are going. If you want to find a place that allows you to enjoy the beautiful ocean of Coz then El Coz would be a great choice. It's just a bonus that it is a short cab ride to town which we take advantage of several times during the week!

Where ever you decide to go, enjoy your trip!

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel dilema

We've only stayed at the Allegro...because of the beach. Someone has a 40th birthday coming up quickly, and because she's whiny and spoiled, gets to click over on the odometer of life wherever she wants. She "only" has about 8 nights to play with, so wants somewhere close to home (no jet lag) and is looking at Cozumel again. She's been looking at all the different hotels as she'd like something closer to the town this time around, but she really likes the layout of the Allegro (8 rooms to a building rather than a high-rise hotel), the big, beautiful sandy beach, loves the grounds, the quiet, and has no issue with the food.

If you really want to be close to the town, the El Coz is your best choice. Sabor and Allegro are relatively close to each other (thus the nice beaches) and neither of them is a cheap trip into town. We rent a car for the week, but take a cab to do stuff like the Tucan (YOU MUST DO THIS!!) and that was $50 right there. That could have been a good meal or two.

Good luck!

9. Re: Hotel dilema

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 12:15