We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sam's and Bodega Aurrera are OPEN

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Sam's and Bodega Aurrera are OPEN

I'm a SAM's girl!!!

I had a ball this morning (cheap trills). TAKE YOUR OWN REUSABLE SHOPPING BAGS!!

I was greeted by a lovely, women employee who held my hand, and welcomed me to the store. Man,I didn't need anymore encouragement to buy. That pushed me over the top. I have to keep this women employed!

Some of the things I saw and to much to mention that I purchased (keeping my new BFF employed)

Printer cartridges available...bought one for our HP printer.

Sam's had familiar items that I really wanted like Michael Angelo's Lasagna (cheese or with meat).

In the meats and veggies section, I did not find the amount of cuts that had been available at either Sam's or Walmart in Playa. The same for the veggies, not all that much, and nothing interesting.

But, overall, it was okay. PERHAPS THERE WAS A MAJOR BUY PRIOR TO MY ARRIVAL.

GREAT cheese section!!! They also had Sushi rolls.

Lots of bikes, tires, lots, and lots of GUY STUFF.

Huge planting pots (fiberglass)...big enough to plant a tree in (or that pesky house guest).

Hunter Fans 42 inch with 3 lamps $999p's.

Tons of computers, Ipod, camera...

At the Bodega store, I found GREAT kitchen hand towels (the waffle type)supper colors. Also, found door mats in square and half circle. They are the course type that really will clean your shoes.

The bread section was overwhelming, and a super selection.

I went about 9:30am and saw about two foreigners, the rest where HAPPY, HAPPY LOCALS!

Heck the employees where DANCING AND SINGING in the Bodega store...

Those of us who live here, who have homes, who work here really need this so much.

Woot, Woot!!!

ca
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sam's and Bodega Aurrera are OPEN

Where is the new Sams located

Thanks

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sam's and Bodega Aurrera are OPEN

Yippee!! Can't wait to spend some pesos!!

Columbia MO
Level Contributor
471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sam's and Bodega Aurrera are OPEN

Where is Bodega? And what kind of store is it?

cozumel
Level Contributor
163 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sam's and Bodega Aurrera are OPEN

aurrera is similar to mega or Chedraui in the things it has. Its next to Sams. Sams is on Av 11 which is the avenue which begins at Pizza Rolandi. Follow it past 30th (traffic light) and 65 (next traffic light) then 3 or 4 blocks and its on the right Really hard to miss. Honestly if you are here on vacation I don't see any reason to go. You can find what you want at mega or chedraui without the hassel. Now if you live here thats another story.

Edited: 01 July 2011, 03:45
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sam's and Bodega Aurrera are OPEN

They are both side by side eachother on 11th and 80 or 85th Ave. The Sam's Club is really small compared to others, but the Bodega is a lot bigger. I wasn't moved too much. The prices at the Bodega were no different than Mega or Soriana. In fact, some were more expensive.

Sam's had some good stuff, but nothing to write home about. I saw a 4 camera security system for 400.00USD...A 59" TV for 20,000 pesos.....An outdoor fancy beach lounger char for 350USD.

Plus a Membership for 2 is around 60USD.

If you like the 5 liter box wine, or Gallon jug. That is something new......

Edited: 01 July 2011, 03:47
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,447 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sam's and Bodega Aurrera are OPEN

I agree with islandgus --- and Dan. As a tourist, I wouldnt waste my time going to either store. In the past, I had found that I could often buy things cheaper at non Walmart owned stores that I frequented in Mexico.

Seems that Walmart is more and more using the Sams - Bodega combination in Mexico. I had a friend from Walmart in the US tell me the reason for Sams getting more play in Mexico is the fact it appeals to the larger families you often find in Mexico.

Edited: 01 July 2011, 11:03
Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sam's and Bodega Aurrera are OPEN

Pretty incredible that Sam's is open already. Normally construction does not happen this fast in Mexico. Just four weeks ago when we drove by this place was just a poured foundation, no framing done yet. Wild.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sam's and Bodega Aurrera are OPEN

I visited both stores on opening day early in the morning and saw nothing that excited me enough to purchase. I don´t think Chadraui and Mega have much to worry about !!!!

Edited: 01 July 2011, 16:15
Cozumel
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sam's and Bodega Aurrera are OPEN

I think it's a guy/girl thing.

I saw the lawn furniture, and went WOW...lawn furniture.

I left each store with full bags of stuff that I was looking for, and needed (okay, not everything I needed).

If you have a Sam's club membership in the states, you can use it here.

I think a lot has to do with expectations. I had NO expectations, so I was happy.

I will be going back to check on the availability and cost of medications at Sam's...will post what I find out.

Silver Lake, WI
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sam's and Bodega Aurrera are OPEN

Does anyone know if Sam's sells small refrigerators? At home they are ridiculously cheap, but Mega, Ched, etc. want hundreds of dollars. Not worth it for a short vacation.