We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterproof bags

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
365 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Waterproof bags

Anyone know an online site where we can get waterproof bags?? Not water resistant, waterproof. We used to have one & apparently those aren't available anymore, or I'm just looking in the wrong place. We want one big enough to be able to stuff a dry pair of shorts & a tank top. Thanx everyone!!! Again!!!

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterproof bags

Try rei.com and enter dry bags into the search. They have them all sizes and prices.

~Laura

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterproof bags

They have 3 different sizes at Walmart in the camping dept.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterproof bags

Sierra Trading Post, Campmor, and Cabela's are online sources as well.

I've used gallon ziploks for this purpose -- using two bags with one placed inside the other with the zips at opposite ends. Cheaper & lighter than a dry bag & very effective as long as the bags are well sealed.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterproof bags

I agree, don't buy the dry bags. I have one I take on the dive boat and stopped taking it, it was so heavy in my luggage. It just made extra weight.

I found some of the "space bags" they originally called them, that they sucked air out with the vacume cleaner. Only they come in a set where you just mash the air out of them and they're basically a zip-lock bag. They were pretty cheap...got them at CVS.

There's many different types out there.

Edited: 02 July 2011, 16:13
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
622 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterproof bags

rei.com/product/752523/sea-to-summit-lightwe…

These are lightweight - and work great. Use them for Kayaking rivers in Costa Rica and they never get wet - all kinds of sizes.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterproof bags

Surfcali's advice is spot on. As a whitewater yakker, the ones sold by the kayak and rafting suppliers are bullet proof. God knows I took some epic swims in a couple of Class 5-6 rapids. My gear stayed dry. I now use these bags in Coz.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,325 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waterproof bags

I also carry one of those Sea to Summit bags around to stick my camera bag in, in case of downpour. Light and rolls up to almost nothing....

suitcaseready.com

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waterproof bags

surfcali, those bags do look great. Mine is heavy rubber like and it's a large one. I need to check into getting one like yours. I've been meaning to find another one, but just haven't taken the time.

Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waterproof bags

Can I take this kind of bag snorkeling with me? So I don't have to leave all my stuff (I.e. car keys, ID, money) on the beach? Will it float?

Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waterproof bags

Can I take this kind of bag snorkeling with me? So I don't have to leave all my stuff (I.e. car keys, ID, money) on the beach? Will it float?