We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LLLOOONNNGGG and overdue Trip Report!!!

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
LLLOOONNNGGG and overdue Trip Report!!!

Ok, Ok, Ok, Looonnnnggg overdue trip report. This one is long.

Left Houston at 9:45am, met Linkslady and her husband pre-flight… Flight was smooth and landed on time. Fairly easy getting through customs, but we have a service dog and we always get held up. Not a big deal because we expect it. Zipped by the boys in turquoise and secured transportation to Casa Colonial.

Arrived at Casa Colonial around noon thirty, as usual the property was immaculate (separate review to be posted soon). After taking care of the financials with the property owners I was off to Isis. I walked two blocks to 30th Ave and caught a taxi. Remember in Spanish the “I” is pronounced “EE”, I was soon reminded of this. I asked the driver to drive me to “I”s”I”s Car Rental, he replied “Aces?”, I said sure.. A short 5 minutes later I was back at the airport at Aces Car Rental. I then remembered my limited Spanish and said “Eesees” and a short 6 minutes later I was sitting with Margarita discussing the current drought on the island.

I got my little Chevy 2-door and zipped back to the property picked up the wife, son and nephew and we were off to Coconuts. For some reason I feel it is important to get to the east side as soon as I can cause that just catapults me into Vacay Mode. Had a few ritas and had some chips and pico, worked up a nice lil buzz but was not to the point where I couldn’t stand (which has been known to happen there). After snacking and drinking we loaded up in the “fudge pop” (the chevy) and drove to Chen Rio.

We parked the car on the side of the road and walked down to the beach. The boys couldn’t be held up any longer and exploded into the water like a rat terrier after a squirrel (the obligatory cliché). Was very comfortable there allowing the boys to explore the area with minimal-moderate oversight as there were many locals swimming with their children. For those that don’t know this is sort of a protected, shallow area that is fairly safe for young ones if the surf is low. Warning: it would be possible for a child to get sucked out by a rip current through the semi-protected area. The sand is crushed coral and feels great on the feet, just sayin. There were two local men fishing with hand lines in the area and they both produced small catches, but the boys liked to watch them. The men would catch the fish and let the boys pet them.

Returned back to Casa and relaxed for a bit then went drove to Mega. At Mega we loaded up on groceries and all those wonderful pastries. Spent $200 U.S. on beer and food. The boys had never seen grape yogurt before so they had to load up that. I was disappointed to learn that they were out of pork hot dogs so we settled for turkey. Yes, I eat hotdogs on vacay, they are easy to grill and it is quick. Returned back to Casa, got settled put everything away. While the wife and I were doing this the boys jumped in the pool and played in the pool, it was dark at this point. Got a lil buzz and crashed for the night.

Woke up at the crack of dawn because the boys had to be in the pool by 7:00 am, argg kids….. We made breakfast and relaxed on the property til about 10:30 and headed to money bar.

I have a hard time understanding why there are so many folks that do not like this place… Politics aside, in my opinion this is the 2nd best beach club on the island. We all snorkeled and it was the nephews first time. Well wouldn’t ya know it, as soon as we get in the water what is a mere 50 yards from the entry at the end of the pier, a nice fat juicy Barracuda. Well the nephew got so scared he began to shake, so I grabbed his hand and tried to calm him to no avail. My son and wife saw it as well and my son went after the Cuda. After seeing that the little one wasn’t scared the nephew decided to man up and stay in the water. We snorkeled til noon then had lunch there at the Money Bar. We just had the usual fair, nothing special about it, just something to put in the belly to regain some energy. We are not Foodies and really don’t care as long as it replenishes the energy so we can get back to the business of snorkeling or enjoying the other things on the island. We snorkeled again til about 3 and called it a day there for that place. The condos behind are completely ready and one can be yours for a mere $395,000 U.S.

We did the Pirata Cruise that night… This is our 3rd or 4th time to do this (I don’t remember) and as usual it did not disappoint. This was our son’s 2nd cruise and the nephew’s 1st. The group we were with this time was a little more rowdy than normal but that was fine cause we were in a rowdy mood. The drinks were flowing and there was plenty of theatrics and dancing. Two meatheads (bodybuilders) were on board and were having their fill of fun. There was a dance off and one of them thought he was at S. Padre or Datona for Spring Break and decided to drop shorts during the dance off to show that he truly was the stallion he thought he was, but before he could get them all the way off the owner of the business politely told him to sit his dumb rear end down. He complied and the party continued without him. Incidentially, meathead number one passed out before dinner. It was hilarious though cause this dude was completely hammered before we even left the pier. We had dinner, Lobster and Steak. It was delicious and time flew by. Before we knew it the cruise was over and back at the pier. The best thing about this cruise is gliding over that gorgeous blue water and the Lobster. The owner remembered us from the last time and the boys got a lil special attention and some freebies. Will certainly do this again as we always do. Went home and went to bed.

Guess what, the boys were up at the crack of dawn again, arggg kids. The babysitter arrived and the wife and I were off to go on our first dives of the trip. Went Papa Hog’s and signed in. First reef was Palancar Horseshoe. Great dive lots of structure and swim throughs but at this depth there was little wildlife, as expected. Next we did Palancar Shallows. About half way through my dive I cleared and heard an odd noise from my right ear, the next thing I know is that I have Vertigo and the whole world is upside down and inside out. The pain from the right ear was excruciating. I had my hand on the auto-inflator and nearly pulled the trigger. After about 30 seconds of complete freakiness I got my wife’s (dive buddy) attention and signaled that I was ascending. She partnered up with the DM and they continued the dive. I got on the boat and figured I blew my ear drum. We returned to port and I went to the dive doc Papa Hogs recommended. I had not completely blew my drum but it was certainly swollen, steroid prescribed but my diving days for this trip were over. Oh well life goes on!!!

This is getting too long, gonna shorten it I up a bit.

Best place for dinner if in town, El Pique… Frijoles Especial ~$6.00 U.S., feeds 2-3.

Dominoes rocks if you are too tired or too cheap for Rockin Java

We went to Paradise Beach and had fun but I don’t recommend this place to everyone, the water is cloudy, the cruizees are there, scantly clad co-eds prance about (oh wait, that was ok), it was great for the boys cause they loved it. Use caution when entering the water from the end where the kayaks are the ironshore is very uneven and has lots of holes where you could easily twist and ankle. It was expensive but the boys enjoyed it and it tuckered them out. Whoohoo!! We went home and the boys passed out about 7 that night. The wife and I got to just relax for a few hours, very nice.

We did the Fury again. We all loved this and the boys had a blast. We visited two reefs, went to their “private beach” to have hamburgers and the boys jumped on the water toys there. The beach area there is right next to mangrove trees and the critters are out in full force. If the mesquitos didn’t get the sand fleas did. By the time our hour was up we were eaten alive, but worth it. Expensive but fun.

We went to Playa Calitita (sp?) and it was a good local beach spot with a bar and kitchen. The best part about this area was the tidal pools where the boys got to look at all kinds of critters and play in the deep pools while I caught a buzz.

Wet Wendy’s was fun, but to be honest, it was all it was built up to be. The food was atrocious and very pricey. One of the patrons advised that the prices have went up since the owner bought basically the whole plaza. I spoke with the owner and he stated that soon there will be a cigar bar there and other shops as well..

It rained on us for three days straight and it wasn’t like a normal rain. It Stormed!!! Lightning, thunder, down pours all the accoutrements. After being caged up for the two days the boys were driving me up the ever loving walls so on the 3rd day rain or shine I was going to something with them. So I took them to the ruins and threw them in a cenote and told them I would be back in 4 days to pick em up and to eat bats for meals. Kidding naturally, but the thought had crossed my mind. LOL! They really enjoyed the ruins and the cool about it was that there were only a handful of people there because of the rain. The bad thing was that the bugs were horrible, but hey we had Off. As many of us are worried about the end days by the Mayan Calendar, I was advised by the guide that the world will not end that the calendar would just start over. Thank goodness, I was about to join a cult and drink the punch… Upon leaving the compound the little old man that watched the “fudge pop” was standing by the car with a huge grin on his face and I just felt compelled to hand the ole fella a 200 peso bill cause he looked like he was hungry. I thought he was going to pass out when I said no cambio. We left and started to head out down the long road back to the Transversal. I saw another old man walking quickly out of the jungle with a huge bundle of Elotes on his back and huge machete in his hand. The boys asked what he was doing and I told them let’s find out. I picked him and gave him a ride to the closest convenience store. The old man gracious thank me and we went home. He advised that he sells the fruit to vendors in town.

We did much more and visited many more places because we were there for 10 days but by now your eyes are probably getting tired so just a couple more things…

Thank you Linkslady and Ray for having in your beautiful home and allowing the boys to swim in the pool and chase frogs.

Thanks Mlsf for the great recommendation for the beach clubs. Sorry we did not get a chance to view your condo.

Thanks to everyone that helped out with the planning.

The day before the last day was the absolute best… We went to a beach club on the North End that was by far and away the best BC on the island. Very few people know about this place and it has been SERIOUSLY re-done. The snorkeling was the best on the island, the food was the best, the Coronas were the coldest, and the staff was incredible. Unfortunately I have been sworn to secrecy by those in the know… I advised that I would not divulge the name of the property. Some will be able to recognize the place by the pics I will post eventually, but if you PM I will tell ya. Only bad thing is that the Cruizees showed up about 4:00 on a late boat but by then we had enjoyed the place for 6 hours all by ourselves so I did not care. Caution!!! Fire Coral does attach itself to cliffs and the pain last for a few hours to a few days.

Pics to come soon, please be patient with me. Sorry I bounced around so much but you get the idea. Overall this was our best trip.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Margarita Island
Margarita Island
Coastal Islands, Venezuela
Chen Rio
Chen Rio
269 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Paradise Beach
Paradise Beach
3,103 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,366 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Montrose Colorado
Level Contributor
300 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LLLOOONNNGGG and overdue Trip Report!!!

LOL....Nice! Kept wondering when you were going to get yourself back on here and post something about your trip.

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LLLOOONNNGGG and overdue Trip Report!!!

LOL, ya it took me a while... Been really busy at work.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LLLOOONNNGGG and overdue Trip Report!!!

Gracias, SD, for such a fun report to read.

Had to put in for vacation today to completely read it (LOL).

Did you notice that the clock on the condos across from Money Bar is stuck at 5 O'clock? I thought that was very cool. Not only is it 5 O'clock somewhere, but at Money Bar it's 5 O'clock ALL THE TIME.

Ah, Mega. My home away from home......................

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LLLOOONNNGGG and overdue Trip Report!!!

Glad you had a good time. Your vacations sound as hectic as mine are. Glad the beach reviews were helpful. Our newest version should be on-line in 2 weeks or so.

One thing about the rain to save a vacation. If it is raining where you are, it is probably not raining 5-10 miles away. The west side was socked in for two days last week. We went to the east side and the sun was shining.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LLLOOONNNGGG and overdue Trip Report!!!

How'd your pup-pup like the trip? Enjoyed your report. Saw you and your fam from a distance Sunday night at the plaza. You all were leaving...right before the but shaking/hip hop began.

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LLLOOONNNGGG and overdue Trip Report!!!

I did notice that Mal but I didn't put the two together because I was happy as a lark and didn't care.. LOL! Ya man, Mega rocks.. Chedruai has really cheap snorkeling gear in case something of yours doesn't hold up...

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LLLOOONNNGGG and overdue Trip Report!!!

Froglegs!!! We looked for you on the flight.... She did great, we kept her at home a lot but we would always return to throw the ball to wear her out...

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LLLOOONNNGGG and overdue Trip Report!!!

I was wondering if you were gonna write a report. Great report, sounds like good times! I especially liked the part where you told the kids to eat bats for four days! haha I always threatened to hang them from the ceiling fan at full speed and I would smack them each time they came around! lol That always settled them down! Can't wait to see your photos.

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
289 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LLLOOONNNGGG and overdue Trip Report!!!

We were at Paradise Beach two weeks ago. After spending the $ for the wristbands, my kids wouldn't go in the water- it smelled and there was seaweed. I thought it was fine once you got out a bit, but they wanted no parts of it. BUT, they did go on the trampoline/sling shot on land. We do that at the Boardwalk and that was worth the price of the wristbands in itself. As for everyone else we were with, it's only $2 to get a chair and use the ocean/pool, so I think it was well worth it. The food was pricey, but good.

Glad you had a good trip! When were you there?

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Beach
Paradise Beach
3,103 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Ohio
Level Contributor
929 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LLLOOONNNGGG and overdue Trip Report!!!

Great report, sounds like a wonderful vacation, but so sorry to hear about the ear incident! I hope you're doing much better now & that it won't affect any future diving plans. Also looking forward to the pics ASAP!!! Mo