We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the trigger has been pulled...

Montana
Level Contributor
652 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
the trigger has been pulled...

After an almost four year wait, we are heading back to Coz in October. Tickets have been purchased, trip insurance is in place and the 50% deposit has been recieved and confirmed for the villa we are renting.

Our son is due back from Iraq the first week in October so we are leaving 10/12 and will be back on 10/25. Eleven nights in Paradise instead of the usual seven.

After spending the last three trips at the Iberostar we decided to rent Hacienda Izamal in town based on the glowing reviews it has received and the proximity to food, shops and drink.

Me, the spouse, our 22 year old son & 19 year old daughter are going along with her 20 year old boyfriend who has never been out of Montana.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the trigger has been pulled...

Have fun. 11 days.....nice!

Your son has my heartfelt appreciation for what he is doing for the US.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the trigger has been pulled...

A dream coming true for you and yours. Make everlasting memories. Cheers!

Montana
Level Contributor
652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the trigger has been pulled...

Mark - thanks for your kind words. He will be leaving the red zone at the end of August and we can't wait. There is a lot more happening in Iraq than the American public knows about, but it is good that the bad guys aren't getting a lot of press as that is what they are looking for.

Froglegs - thanks also. We can't wait to hit the restaurants in town. We have only eaten at Coconuts, Tony Rome's and one of the Missions (can't remember which one as it was nine years ago). Forty dollars round trip from the Iberostar kept us from doing a lot in town.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the trigger has been pulled...

Hey...not only will I/we be there then but I have stayed at Izamal!!! You will love it there. Such a great property and really easy in and out from wherever you want to go on the island. Very homey feeling. If I can help in any way, let me know.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
180 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the trigger has been pulled...

Congratulations, we just pulled the trigger too. We're going to be at the Coz Palace 9 - 16 Oct, so we're going to overlap a bit. Tell your son thanks from a retired GI and if I see you guys, I'll buy you a drink.

Cheers

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the trigger has been pulled...

Congrats!! Hope we can make it back this year. Please post about your condo. Don't remember seeing anything about it here. Where did you find the listing? We would love to do a condo this time around. Enjoy yourselves.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: the trigger has been pulled...

Congrats... our son did two tours in Iraq also and got to spend Christmas with us in Cozumel last year. His first tour was full of danger but thankfully his second one was a mostly boredom (he was on facebook more than i was).

Prayers for your sons safe (and ON TIME as planned) return ! I know our sons return dates / leaves dates were never official until they were practically on the airplane.

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the trigger has been pulled...

Here is one big SALUTE to your son!!! We all appreciate his dedication and service to our country...

Have fun on your trip.

I have a feeling that the young man that has never been out of Montana will have some stories to tell once he returns home from paradise...

Montana
Level Contributor
652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the trigger has been pulled...

Thanks everyone. Wineott & SilverDollar - between now & then maybe we can make plans to meet for a frosty one.

Kclady - if you click on vacation rentals at the top of the page you can find Izamal a few pages in. It looks beautiful & we are psyched to see it up close.

msdiver - the 19 year old we are taking with us is kind of a wide eyed kid who is nervous about the trip but very eager to learn the way of the island. We are happy to be able to share our favorite place in the world with a newbie.

Montana
Level Contributor
652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the trigger has been pulled...

SevenC - thanks to your son for his service. Our son is on convoy security during the pullout and told us yesterday that they are scaling back their missions as of this week. The less time he is on the road, the better.

As far as scheduling anything, any military family knows the frustration of (as you said) waiting until the last second to find out when their service member gets to fly out for any reason. Makes planning a major vacation quite challenging.