We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low Occupancy in Cozumel Center Hotels

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,272 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Low Occupancy in Cozumel Center Hotels

I have been reading in several publications and hearing from friends in the tourist business, that some of the smaller hotels in the center are in danger of closing due to low occupancy. That would be shame since the two small hotels on the square closed in recent years. Hotel owners are saying that high ferry fares are keeping the Mexican tourists away and also unfair competition from private homes or villas available to rent online but that do not pay taxes or have licenses or permits to operate. The government has long claimed they will regulate this but have done nothing.

I hope something can be done to promote and assist these small hotels.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low Occupancy in Cozumel Center Hotels

That is very sad. I'm sorry to hear it. Naturally it's a person's choice to rent a condo or villa etc if they like but for the owners of those places not to adhere to laws/regulations is just not right. Owning any kind of business on the island just seems to get tougher every day.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low Occupancy in Cozumel Center Hotels

Have always wanted to stay in the square but as they let them run down it was not an attractive option. The prices

also seemed out of wack. $50-70 a night seemed extreme

Edited: 03 August 2011, 22:44
Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low Occupancy in Cozumel Center Hotels

I've thought about staying in the square as well, but due to the prices and the possibility of noise late at night, I would always look elsewhere. I hate to hear that for the hotel owners.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Low Occupancy in Cozumel Center Hotels

any specific hotels in question here?

San Diego
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Low Occupancy in Cozumel Center Hotels

I believe the ferry prices have not helped their business. The house/condo complaint is more whining than reality. The prices on those are much higher than the hotels in the main square area even if you do the math with lots of people per. The mid priced to high priced hotels do have a issue though with the private rentals. The recession along with dropping prices on the mid range hotels, along with Casa Mexicana opening in their sub-market with a much better product, along with the square area in general dying off business wise over the last 10 years are the bigger problems they face.

We were there in June and it was sad to see some of the hotels that used to be busy around the square appear to be either out of business or without any business.

Rich

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,272 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Low Occupancy in Cozumel Center Hotels

Several still do well in the center. One is the Hotel Pepita, where I have put visitors for years. They are always busy and only a block and a half from the center and about 35 to 40 dollars per night. Always very popular with the divers.

Rich is correct, two long established hotels on the sqaure have closed in recent years. Sad to see.

¨ Naturally it's a person's choice to rent a condo or villa etc if they like but for the owners of those places not to adhere to laws/regulations is just not right. ¨. Agree froglegs, the local government really ought to enforce regulations and tax these rentals just as they do the hotels. The laws are there but not enforced.

Stillwater OK
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Low Occupancy in Cozumel Center Hotels

"unfair competition from private homes or villas available to rent online but that do not pay taxes".

Easy solution, eliminate taxes and it's a level playing field. Sorry liberals.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Low Occupancy in Cozumel Center Hotels

Yes. Do away with all taxes then when you need something like the fire dept. or police... you're on your own. Brilliant Idea.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Low Occupancy in Cozumel Center Hotels

*tsk* That's just commie talk, Pacridge.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
631 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Low Occupancy in Cozumel Center Hotels

Not a great idea, but sounded great when I heard it coming from that avatar. LOL

Edited: 10 August 2012, 23:27