We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weight restrictions Maya Air

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
888 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
weight restrictions Maya Air

I have perused the board for info about Maya Air. I see the weight restriction is 55 lbs. Does anyone know if that includes/excludes backpacks, etc, that would ordinarily be carried onboard a larger airline? The kicker is that we will have scuba stuff, some of it wet. So while it looks like a good deal relative to the bag drag, it might not be if we have to pay mucho dinero for extra weight. Ideas?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weight restrictions Maya Air

The weight restrictions are for your checked bag only. I recently brought more than 55 lbs and was prepared to pay extra, but they didn't even question the extra weight.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weight restrictions Maya Air

The smaller prop planes are more weight sensitive than jets. This might be a "flight control" item for the overall weight of cargo and passengers. If your bags are overweight you could always "buy" a seat for your overweight bag.

They've only weighed our "checked" bags. Never our carry-ons.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
711 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weight restrictions Maya Air

You will be fine with carry on's. No problem whatsoever.

30 mins prior to departure is totally fine, I have showed up 10 mins from departure and got on, but I do recommend 30 mins before.

The charge for overweight is not that bad, I think it is 20 pesos per kilo (2.2lbs). And many times they seem to waive it, but don't count on it and expect it, or demand it. just be happy if they let it go. It seems to me that if the plane is not too full they don't fuss about it that much. If the plane is very full (this time of year not a worry) they may weigh the passengers as well as the luggage, and I appreciate their thoughtfulness in regards to safety doing so.

Worth it IMHO

4. Re: weight restrictions Maya Air

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 11:20