We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to exchange dollars for pesos

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best place to exchange dollars for pesos

Where's the best place to exchange my american dollars for mexican pesos in Cozumel?

pa
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to exchange dollars for pesos

atm machines available at mega

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to exchange dollars for pesos

Skip the cambios and banks.....go straight to a bank owned ATM as you will get the best exchange rate.

Preferably one with a swipe reader vs. a "push the card in" reader.

Don't use the ones on the street.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,217 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to exchange dollars for pesos

Bank affiliated ATM. You'll get the best rate. check oanda.com if you want to print a currency cheat sheet in advance.

suitcaseready.com

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place to exchange dollars for pesos

In others words, these folks are telling you to use an ATM to withdraw pesos and forget bringing dollars to exchange. But you can use dollars on the island.

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best place to exchange dollars for pesos

The cambios are giving 11.4 as of last night when I drove past several. Mega will glady take dollars when buying groceries and their exchange rate is 11.9.

I used dollars yesterday afternoon as did a couple of locals directly in front of me. No problem. However, they will simply not do a direct exchange.

I made my ususal run by HSBC on 11 th @ 30th and took care of my pesos shortage.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,442 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best place to exchange dollars for pesos

Good advice from mslf. I use the bank ATMs for all my pesos. I try only to use the swipe machines. All Banamex machines on the island are swipe machines. Several ones around town--I usually use the one at the Chedraui store or at the Banamex bank on 30.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best place to exchange dollars for pesos

I used Bank of America to SafeSend myself some money yesterday and got 12.3 pesos to the dollar......market down.....peso down.

My reason for skipping the banks was simply to avoid waiting in line. The ATM is faster. If you use BoA at Santander, there is no ATM fee.

Edited: 12 August 2011, 03:22
ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best place to exchange dollars for pesos

Best exchange if you do bring dollars is the Scotiabank in the Plaza - corner Ave. 5 Norte & Calle 2. On Tuesday morning, Forex listed about 12.5 MXN/$1 USD and Scotia gave 12.1 MXN/$1 USD.

Any bank exchange requires your original passport plus a photocopy of the ID page. The bank keeps the copy.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best place to exchange dollars for pesos

Deb, wouldn't 14:1 be nice again? I was happy with the 12.3:1 rate and no wire fees.

Also, as a side note. Very few, if any, places will accept torn or damaged USD. This includes the banks. It's one of those oddities about Mexico. If you are in an area where they they might be able to give it back to an American as change later, they might accept it. Otherwise, make sure your currency isn't torn or severely marked up when you make your trip.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best place to exchange dollars for pesos

Try the Mega upstairs or the banks around the main plaza. Usually with a glass door entrance. Hotel ATMs will rape you.

Yes the locals accept dollars but generally things will be cheaper if you buy with local money.