We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any cancellations after the Sept 4, 2011 diving incident?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,990 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Any cancellations after the Sept 4, 2011 diving incident?

Three people attempted a very risky deep air dive. End result is that all three had to take chamber rides. One diver reported that they were pushed deep by a downwelling/down current. That report has since been invalidated.

Did anyone cancel their trip (perhaps to dive) to Cozumel because of the incident or report of a rogue down current?

My opinion: the down current report never seemed realistic to me. I have been diving in Cozumel for many years and my limited trips there have never raised issues about diving safety. So cancelling a dive trip there would be a mistake.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any cancellations after the Sept 4, 2011 diving incident?

Factual correction: Date of incident was 3 Sept.

Have not heard that this effected demand for diving.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any cancellations after the Sept 4, 2011 diving incident?

It wasn't due to a downcurrent and no, I haven't canceled my trip.

MKE
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any cancellations after the Sept 4, 2011 diving incident?

IF I had a vendetta against the dive op in question, I'd probably make internet posts stating that I was going to change my vacation plans.

Thankfully, that's not the case. (I've used the op before, and I'll probably use them again based on the quality of the Captains and DMs. I'd also recommend them to my friends and family without reservation).

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any cancellations after the Sept 4, 2011 diving incident?

It was reported on CMC that Opal passed away last night. Just thought some folks on here would like to know. Very sad.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any cancellations after the Sept 4, 2011 diving incident?

That's very sad news. This event has made me realize that it's time to plan a few dives with all of the different dive ops / DM's I've met over the years that were such a joy to spend some time with. Usually I dive with the same op for my entire stay 9and I like trying new ones to make new friends) but next trip will be done differently so I can catch up on all the stuff I've missed. Luckily I've kept track of those people over the years even if they've moved to another dive op, and hopefully I can plan a day or more with each of them before I quit diving or traveling to Cozumel on a regular schedule.

MI
Level Contributor
630 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any cancellations after the Sept 4, 2011 diving incident?

My deepest condolences to the family and loved ones of Opal. This is so very sad.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any cancellations after the Sept 4, 2011 diving incident?

This link was just posted on Scubaboard. It's a video tribute submitted by Heath (who was on the dive & was her boyfriend) and has her families authorization (from what I see).

www.youtube.com/watch…

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
443 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any cancellations after the Sept 4, 2011 diving incident?

Tears in my eyes.....

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any cancellations after the Sept 4, 2011 diving incident?

Heartbreaking. My sincerest condolences to her family and friends.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
57 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any cancellations after the Sept 4, 2011 diving incident?

I too feel horrible for her family and for the other two divers involved.

I scheduled a trip for November and was scheduled to dive with the op that was involved in the accident. I have not cancelled my trip nor have I canceled my dives with that dive op.

The dive should have never been attempted. But, it wasn't a dive with customers. If anything I think it will make everyone more safety conscious than they were before it happened.