We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Benefits of taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen

Level Contributor
125 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Benefits of taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen

I've been reading some reports on trip advisor that recommend taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen for beach and swimming activities. We were interested in going to the Paradise because they have some water activities but one of the reports said the water was brown and we would be better off taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen where the water is crystal blue. Does anyone have any feelings on this? We are going in December and staying at the Casa del Mar in Cozumel. We like water activities. (2 teenage girls and 1 mom)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,020 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Benefits of taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen

Paradise Beach Bar? I wouldn't worry about the water issue. Tea colored very rare in that area unless it happens to be raining for a very long time and the mangroves start filling up. There are numerous beach bars up and down the west side to enjoy.

The mainland is about 12 miles across the water. So taking the ferry vs. swimming there is a wise decision.

Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Benefits of taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen

The water is not any more blue/turquoise in PDC than it is on Cozumel. The shopping is almost the same in both places. The food is better on Cozumel. If there is any brown water around the island it is from mangrove run off and is only like that occasionally...and it's only in a couple of spots. My 2 cents.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
75 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Benefits of taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen

The beautiful thing about Cozumel is the variety. A lagoon to the north with mangroves, bonefishing and birding; the west side of the island home to one of the most amazing reef systems in the world for diving, snorkeling and swimming; the beach to the south is a park with a large lagoon with a boat tour, long, white sandy beach and a shallow reef a couple of hundred meters off shore; and finally the east side with deserted beaches, a few beach bars, one hotel, usually more wind (prevailing winds are from the east) and some surf.

PdC, being on the mainland has a beach with a limited reef, essentially the same characteristics as the east side of Cozumel. And the prevailing winds are usually in your face.I think the water opportunities there are pretty limited compared to the island.

Edited: 30 September 2011, 22:44
Level Contributor
325 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Benefits of taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen

I felt like the water was just as good in Cozumel when we stayed there than it was on the mainland.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
75 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Benefits of taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen

We stayed at Cozumel Palace in May and took the ferry to Playa Del Carmen. The beach is AMAZING at Playa del Carmen and I would definitely recommend going there. We were staying at Cozumel Palace and went to the Palace resort there----however the beach is pretty public. It was right by a bar/restaurant but I can't remember the name :( It had a huge trampoline you could jump on.....maybe Carlos' n Charlie's?!? I would recommend the beach around there because it's GORGEOUS!!

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
78 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Benefits of taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen

I wouldn't worry about the water, especially in December, it's going to be crystal clear. A lot of people actually go from Playa to Cozumel for water activities, because the water is so calm in Cozumel. That being said, 5th Avenue is very cool, especially at night, and it's worth the 35 minute ferry ride, in my opinion.

Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Benefits of taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen

Because you are staying at Casa del Mar, I believe you can enter Nachi Cocom beach club with no entrance fee AND get 20% off food and drink. There are some water/beach activities at Nachi and even more, just a short walk on the beach to the north to Mr. Sanchos. No snorkeling to speak of at either but great snorkeling right at your hotel!

I wouldn't spend the money on the ferry for 3 people, both ways...How much is it now? $12-$14/person/one way? You could pay for a few water activities at a beach club for what you'd pay for the ferry.

Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Benefits of taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen

We've stayed at Casa del Mar several times and the water out front is beautful. I dive with my son most mornings and we still jump in and snorkel a lot of the afternoons out front of the hotel.

Their beach club to the south, Nachi Cocom, is a gorgeous beach with great swimming. It is pretty laid back compared to Paradise Beach that has bigger pool area and water toys but we prefer that laid back atmosphere. Your teenage girls may prefer more action at Paradise. We have been to Playa del Carmen and find the water on Cozumel to be our favorite.

We thought about taking the ferry over on our next visit to snorkel with the turtles at Akumul, but the cost for 4 and the time involved we will probably just choose an activity on Cozumel. I've got to try spearfishing with Leo or Adrian's tour to the north or sailing on the Tucan. Oh man, my up coming trip is going to fill up fast!

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Benefits of taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen

No way in He77 that I would go to the mainland for just the beaches. The water is usually more rough with the prevailing winds, the beach clubs arent as good (Mamitas and Kool), and the food is, how do you put it, average at best. Now, the shopping is better, and the opportunity to do things like swim with the turtles at Akumal Bay, go to a Mayan Ruin, swim in a cenote, or hit the parks like Xcaret and Xelha

are there for the taking. So if you go, enjoy, just dont do it for the beaches.

10. Re: Benefits of taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 20:16