We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbia Shallows

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Columbia Shallows

I am in the process of booking a private boat for tour of Cozumel. Part of this tour I will be requesting a few stops to snorkel for the family.

My research has found that an area called the Columbia Shallows is the reef we should request for its beauty and variety of marine life.

I am not sure where exactly it is located (Punta Sur??) but what are your thought about this area for a private snorkel tour?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbia Shallows

Columbia Shallows is fantastic, it is pretty far south almost to Punta Sur. There is quite a diversity of marine life there and if you can free dive it is only around 30 feet deep. It is not nearly as beautiful of a reef as the Palancar reef is. I would also try to stop on the shallow side of Palancar where you have a better opportunity to see some large fish. Who are you booking with?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbia Shallows

My favorite dive site & I highly recommend it for snorkelers. It's located a bit north of the snorkeling area at Punta Sur. I have several photo albums shot there

picasaweb.google.com/CozumelTimeCapsules

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbia Shallows

Beautiful pictures, looks like this place is a winner. I will mark it on the itinerary for a stop during our tour. Thanks for sharing.

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbia Shallows

Definitely go to Colombia Shallows and continue to Palancar Gardens.. best snorkeling IMO...

If you have time ask your DM to take you to el Cielo for some chillaxing.. it's so BEAUTIFUL and tons of starfish and nothing but sand and shallow enough to stand up.. it's like an endless swimming pool in the caribbean. We've hired a boat for snorkeling and then we have them take us there for some adult beverages and chill time!

Lees Summit, MO
Level Contributor
482 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Columbia Shallows

Columbia Shallows is one of my favorites for our second dive. I always ask our DM to take us at least once while we are in Coz. Sometimes I feel like some of the guys look at me funny when I request it but then when the dive is over everyone always loves it! Because it's shallow you are there for a long time and there are so many things to see.

Edited: 07 October 2011, 15:41
Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Columbia Shallows

Diving Columbia Shallows is always weather related. It is a beautiful area and whether diving or snorkeling you can see a tremendous amount of fish and coral.

Definitely on the southern end of the island so make sure that you are not on a big slow boat or the trip down and back will take almost all day.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Columbia Shallows

CZMdiver........respectfully, not sure what reef you are thinking of but there's no way Colombia Shallows would take all day to get there and back......I used to hire a slow boat that departed from La Caleta at 9am......two 90 minute dives, the first being anywhere on Palancar or Colombia Deep and we were always back at the marina (with a LONG surface interval) by around 3pm latest.........and CS isn't any more "weather related" than anywhere else of the four Palancar wall sites........hmmmmm---baffled here.

In fact a lot of the snorkel tours allow one to swim straight over to Palancar from Colombia Shallows instead of getting back on the boat, it's that close.

And by the way------congrats to Linkslady for being the only post here to spell Colombia correctly!!.........hahha.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Columbia Shallows

Betsy, all of my albums have the correct spelling, but ONLY because you taught me the correct way years ago.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Columbia Shallows

Hahah..........good one Larry-------Linkslady will admit the same!!!

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Columbia Shallows

Well, I have to agree...love Colombia Shallows and absolutely love Palancar Gardens...one of my very favorites, but I dive. I can never go down when I'm snorkeling....I just bob right up! I can't enjoy snorkeling like I use to, with xtra fatty tissue on me. lol!

And, nope, it doesn't take all day to get to Colombia and back. Maybe he was on the "slow boat to China" trip that day. LOL