We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling

i'm going to cozumel in march. first time there and i want to try snorkeling, first time also. i don't have good eyesight and i can't wear contacts. i'm wondering if i should purchase a prescription mask, or does the water magnify things enough to see fairly well.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling

how far can you see clearly? the mask would definitely help, but thats quite an expense considering you haven't even tried to snorkel yet.

i have been on SOME snorkel cruises (though non in Mexico) that had corrective lenses.

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling

Maybe you want to try snorkeling first to see if you even like it??? Or if you feel confident that you will like it, I'd vote to get the prescription mask. I don't think the water magnifies enough. My sister in law has a prescription mask and loves it. I have no clue how much they are...

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling

I have a prescription mask but I prefer to wear my contacts when I snorkel and dive. I have never had an issue with my contacts, can u not wear them at all or just worried about snorkeling with them?

In order to get a prescription mask, I had to have a written script from my eye dr, less than 6 month old. I then went to a local dive shop and ordered my mask. I believe it was around $100.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,003 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling

I've seen prescription masks at larger sports stores that are right there on the rack and cost way less than $100. Same correction for both eyes though. The water does slightly magnify things but it doesn't improve your acuity. I'd say if you can find prescription lenses here, get them, because you are going to love snorkeling, especially if you can see.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling

dhauk- where have you seen these masks??

My mom's mask is cracked and she can't get it back before we leave. We leave in 5 days. Can you let me know so I can help her??

Guelph, Ontario
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling

You can buy a dive mask and then take it to your optician to have the lenses installed. There is an adjustment to the prescription to allow for the magnification from the glass in the mask.

That is what we did many years ago. If I wasn't so cheap I would get a new mask and new lenses for my wife. :-)

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling

thanks for all your help

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling

For people with not so bad vision the ready made optical mask were sold by body glove or us divers when I was looking and they were around $50 or so. They did not go strong enough for me.

I need -8.00 or -9.00, depending on if you figure in my astigmatism or not. You can get a prescription one from scuba dot com or snorkel mart. The lenses are $25 each and you can buy all ranges of masks as low as 25.00, so you can get a decent one that you can actually see with for 75.00 and a better one for $100. They usually are sent with clear lenses and you just switch them out when you get it. real simple. I am sure a lot of people would say spend more on the mask and get a better one, but I have had 2 fairly inexpensive ones and they have been just fine without spending hundreds. Even the $25 mask is better than the ones you get from sams club. not that those are not fine for a seeing person, as we have those, too!

The water magnifies somewhat, and I could see a little "sharper", but not enough to see deep if you go on a boat or something. If you are paying to go snorkeling, it is well worth the small investment to be able to see!!

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
241 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkeling

I didn't wear contacts (dry eyes, couldn't get them in) for a long time, and after trying to snorkel without a visual aid (I'm a -6.5), I asked my optometrist for a pair of disposables just for snorkeling on a trip I took about 6 years ago. They gave me a sample pack.

I had the spouse put them in for me and it made all the difference...And, technology had advanced to the point that they didn't dry up and fall out, and after a couple months I could actually put them in by myself (not an easy learn). Wear them all the time now, and don't miss the glasses. Just too chicken for lasix....

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snorkeling

garpts, I only wish I could wear contacts!! due to the extent of my astigmatism I am unable to wear any type, even the ones made for astigmatism. I am glad that you can do that. It would make life a lot easier or at least snorkeling and water activities.