We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 of us staying at Hotel Coz, how to save $$ while on trip?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
12 of us staying at Hotel Coz, how to save $$ while on trip?

I am taking my family of 12 (my six kids aged 15-24 with spouses)during Cmas break and have the AI plan at Hotel Coz. How can we save on transportation costs, etc.? We all want to snorkel and some dive (one certified, open water). What would be the best bang for the buck as far as snorkeling and diving? or at least one excursion that we should not pass up? We all will be taking our own snorkel gear. I have no idea cost to dive, snorkel, or take a boat to the Playancar Reef. What is the cheapest way to get around, etc. Are there group rates for anything? Thank you for your help!

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 of us staying at Hotel Coz, how to save $$ while on trip?

"or at least one excursion that we should not pass up?"

My first thought was for y'all to get on the Tucan for the day, but perhaps you wouldn't be happy with the snorkeling. I mean it's ok, just not FABULOUS. It is a mix of a lot of things in one day, a snipet of them. Snorkeling, sailing, fishing, spinnaker rides, great food, plentiful beverages, Passion Island-it would be a really fun family bonding day. I love it.

But maybe going to Palancar Beach Club and taking the boat out to snorkel is a better bet for just good ol'snorkeling ... $30 or $35 per person, can't remember, but it's well worth it IMO.

Transportation is hard with that size group. Maybe a taxi van will fit all of you? If I were you, I would walk to Chedraui, up the north side of the building, find a taxi van driver, hope that he speaks fairly good English and arrange a partnership with him for the week. Ask for a number to call him (or have the front desk call him) and tell him that you would like to work exclusively with him for your week. Tip good and he will be at your beck and call!

Washington State
Level Contributor
109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 of us staying at Hotel Coz, how to save $$ while on trip?

We just got back from two great weeks at Hotel Cozumel and I would highly recommend Dive Paradise for your Diving and Snorkel needs. We had a group of 11 and booked a snorkel tour with them. They took us to three reefs Columbia Shallows, Palancar and Dru Ha (sp). I am certified and have dove many times and been on most of the snorkel tours including the Tucan and this was by far the best. The boat was huge and had a great platform and ladder for ease getting in and out of the water. The crew was top notch and the amount of sea life, turtles, eels, nurse sharks, to many fish to list and the coral heads we saw were really amazing. Two of the group decided to do a Discover Scuba course with them and were so impressed that they will be getting certified next year . They have an onsite dive shop at the hotel and will pick you up and drop you off right at the hotel pier.

Edited: 21 November 2011, 04:04
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 of us staying at Hotel Coz, how to save $$ while on trip?

Good idea from Jana and I think you could rent the Tucan for less than the cost of 12 people. Ask them for a private charter fee and let them know how many are of age (18 in MX).

The Jean le Fete (spelling?) pirate ship might also be fun for a private night.

Albatros Charters has a dive/snorkel combo and their larger boat might suit you nicely as well.

Washington State
Level Contributor
109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 of us staying at Hotel Coz, how to save $$ while on trip?

We rented the Tucan for a party of twelve two years ago and it was twice the amount we paid with Dive Paradise and you will also need to factor in the cost of transportation to the marina.

The Tucan was a blast if you are looking for a party atmosphere and a day sailing. The lunch they served on the Tucan was outstanding as was the crew. The snorkel portion is disappointing compared to what you see at Columbia Shallows, Palancar and Dru Ha.

Playa Palancar is another good option but with the cost of transportation from Hotel Coz for twelve and only one reef, Dive Paradise would IMHO would be the best experience and bang for your buck.

Edited: 21 November 2011, 06:03
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 of us staying at Hotel Coz, how to save $$ while on trip?

Thank you so much for your advice, it will be taken!

Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 of us staying at Hotel Coz, how to save $$ while on trip?

Thank you for the tips, I appreciate this!

Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 of us staying at Hotel Coz, how to save $$ while on trip?

Thank you for responding, your advice will be followed!

8. Re: 12 of us staying at Hotel Coz, how to save $$ while on trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2012, 10:23