We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Terraza *New Place To Eat* With A Lot Of Old Faces

texas/centro San...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
La Terraza *New Place To Eat* With A Lot Of Old Faces

La Terraza

New restaurant is going to be opening next week in the old downtown Prima location called The Terrace. I ran in to Julian's brother at Kellys and he said that his brother and the whole family is renting that location and was there cleaning up and getting ready for the grand opening. So Michelle and I walked over and sure enough alot of prep work was going on. Julian and Erica were the managers of the old Pizza Prima after Juan Carlos left to run his parents school here on the island. As many of you know Erica left Albert after working for a while at the now defunct Winstons (Prima II) on top of Cantil. One of the head chefs , Javier, also went with her and they created La Herradura! Well, Julian has now gone his own way and has taken a few of the old Prima waitstaff with him as well as two of the old Prima chefs. He told me that the menu will be about the same as Prima's with a few twists. Of course we all know that what made the downtown Prima location so nice was the open air atmosphere and relatively cheep prices (compared to what they are now at Prima II). I wish Julian all the best and cannot wait for the grand opening. From what I could see the restrooms are brand new and clean, the paint has been touched up, and both the kitchen and dining areas are immaculate...which must have taken alot of hard work as nothing has been in that location since 2005 or 2006.

I am so happy that there will be another option to dine in the downtown area, and even more happy for those who chose to go it on their own after spending so long working at Prima (18 years there for Julian). Surely if Erica and Javier are any indication of the level of service and attention to quality food and detail....I just know Julian will follow their lead and succeed in turning La Terazza into what Prima used to be, a place where you knew everyone by name and where they knew you no matter how long it was since your last visit!

Be sure to stop by after they are open I know we will be regular fixtures.

Mikes

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
310 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Terraza *New Place To Eat* With A Lot Of Old Faces

Will be there next week. Can't wait to try it out. I love the lunches at La Herradura

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Terraza *New Place To Eat* With A Lot Of Old Faces

Nice update. Thanks for posting.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Terraza *New Place To Eat* With A Lot Of Old Faces

And perfect timing with Ironman being on the island this Sunday. There should be lots of people there to check them out.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Terraza *New Place To Eat* With A Lot Of Old Faces

That's great news...I hope they do well there.

I also hope that there a few less number of tables outdoors. When it was Prima's...I've never felt so cramped...seemed like the arguing couple at the table next to us were dining right in our lap.

Midwest
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: La Terraza *New Place To Eat* With A Lot Of Old Faces

I miss the smell of garlic bread...sitting outside...great staff...good food! Thanks for the update = )

Iowa
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Terraza *New Place To Eat* With A Lot Of Old Faces

We went there back in late 90's but can't remember where it was located. Remember sitting on 2nd level enjoying garlic bread and the people watching. Can you refresh my memory with the location?

Might have to try this for some good Italian food. Quido's has priced itself out of our range (since we now travel with the kids). Seem like a pizza dinner with drinks cost a hundred bucks there now. Not saying it isn't worth it, just that we have been eating cheaper on recent visits now that there are more of us traveling. (I miss the old Pizza Rolandis)

This adds another possibility for our upcoming trip. Only have 7 nights and can't fit in all our favorites the way it is!

Thanks

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Terraza *New Place To Eat* With A Lot Of Old Faces

I'm in for February!

Never ate at the previous Prima location but to my knowledge it was just to the left or North, and up, as you would come from the ferry pier. Not that far into square...correct?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Terraza *New Place To Eat* With A Lot Of Old Faces

From the ferry pier , go to the east side of the square. One block to the right on 5th---one block from Mosaicoz. Across the street from Oxxo.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Terraza *New Place To Eat* With A Lot Of Old Faces

OK, so someone eat there tonight and give us a report.

It was one of my favorite places to eat. The food was good (not knock your socks off great), but I really enjoyed the rooftop seating and being able to watch people and cars go by on the plaza and street.

Langosta fra Diablo was my favorite. We had another couple with us one tip and when they husband ate her Diablo leftovers for breakfast the next morning, she almost threw him off our balcony.

It is at the intersection of Avenida 5 and Calle 1. The entrance is on Calle 1. If they are still using the concrete spiral staircase, that was your sobriety checkpoint as it is narrow and steep.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: La Terraza *New Place To Eat* With A Lot Of Old Faces

It's not on Calle 1-------it is on the corner of Avenida 5 and Rosado Salas which is the first through street that runs from Melgar south of the square towards the east.