We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lost wage insuance

Illinois
Level Contributor
420 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
lost wage insuance

we wil be in coz over new year's and were going to rent from thrifty. i recently read an article on car rental from the side bar topics and realized that as of April, 2011, the full insurance doen't cover ev;erything--something about lost wages not being covered--and the eal mess it could cause if in an accident. has any of this changed since april? does the full ins. now reall cover everything, including lost wages, or is there still risk involved in renting, as opposed to cabbing it? thanks, grams98

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lost wage insuance

what did thrifty say?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lost wage insuance

Full insurance has never covered lost wages and it still doesn't. We still rent a car and are just as extra careful as we can be...but you never know.

Illinois
Level Contributor
420 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lost wage insuance

thanks for the quick repoies; i will call thrifty again, as when we made the reservation a month ago, i didn't realize that this issue existed. they told us that the full insurance would cover all liabilities, but i didn't know to ask about this--thanks so much-grams98

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lost wage insuance

Lost wages are usually handled by Mexican Social Security ISSSTE and IMMS . (Institute for Social Security and Services for State Workers) Its a real Grey area. But here is a link to help you out.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k43967…

Edited: 24 November 2011, 15:47
5. Re: lost wage insuance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 November 2011, 22:05
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lost wage insuance

No Jerry I do not have a law degree here, Thank you for asking, just a couple of decades here of helping people when they are in trouble. plus I work next to 5 rental car agencies. I'm there a lot to translate when things get hectic, so maybe I learn a little.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lost wage insuance

Jerry- Cozumel is not Merida. Things are different in different places on different days. you know that and have said so before...depends on who you are talking to right? Most tourists don't know a competent attorney...they're winging it. Most tourists don't have anyone to recommend them a competent attorney. By the time they are in trouble and need one it could be too late.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lost wage insuance

If it helps at all, I asked Carmen at Thrifty airport about this issue (the next time I rented after this story broke). She has always given me her cell number and Russell's cell number to call in case of any emergency and when I asked her about this, she said that she would most definately come to my aid.

I am under the understanding that even the full coverage insurance likely wouldn't cover such an extreme situation but as Dan said, there are other possibilities. Language barrier can contribute to this issue so if Carmen has my back, I feel more comfortable.

Simply do everything you possibly can to protect yourself, keep those important cell numbers with you, drive carefully and defensively, get the full insurance...I even have phone numbers for my local government officials on me and the US Consulate on the island. Might be overkill, but someday I might be really thankful that I have them.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,291 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lost wage insuance

Thanks for the good information and the link, Dan. It is a real gray area but its nice to be as informed as possible.

Cozumel, MX
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lost wage insuance

The story that broke about the lost wages was because of a cruise ship passenger that had a very bad accident and almost killed 2 men. They couldn't let the guy get back on his ship because they didn't know if they'd ever see any money out of him. Once he was gone they'd never see him again so that's what made it such a big deal. They wouldn't let anyone leave if they couldn't find them again in the US either after a bad accident. There is no way to insure that the men would be taken care of. In the US you can sue someone but in Cozumel that isn't possible. There was a time issue since his ship was leaving and everyone thought he was trying to skip out on paying so it got pretty heated. If he was staying on the island I don't think it would have been quite so bad. That being said, you really do need to be super careful while driving in Cozumel. The roads can be tricky and they're not always marked. They're much better than they used to be though. The area where the accident took place is a little confusing though.