We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are ATMs safe?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
700 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Are ATMs safe?

We're leaving for Cozumel this Sunday. I'm trying to figure out how much cash to bring with me. Are the ATMs plentiful and safe? Also,

we are staying at the Cozumel Palace. Will it be easy to get a cab around noon? I think it's pretty close to the airport. Thanks!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,558 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are ATMs safe?

Yes ATMs are safe - best to get one associated with a bank

Are you flying into Cozumel

Edited: 14 December 2011, 02:09
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
931 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are ATMs safe?

We always us ATMs for pesos. My suggestion would be to use one that is at a bank. We use the on at the Santander bank on 10'with our bank at home there are no fees. We have never had any issues using ATMs.

If you are asking if cabs are available at the airport at noon to bring you to the Palace the answer is no. There are vans that will take you to your resort, no cabs allowed. You will need to purchase a ticket at the transportation booth, walk past and do not talk to the many time share people that will be in your way. Should be about $10us pp. Other than the airport, cabs are plentiful. Ask the fare before you hop in so you have no surprise when you arrive at your destination.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are ATMs safe?

I prefer to use a swipe-type ATM and not the kind that take my card into the machine. The grocery store Chedraui is right across from the Palace and you can use their ATM's with no problems.

Bring lots of ones and fives for tipping.

Cabs are always plentiful all during the day. Do you mean a cab from the airport? You have to walk off the airport grounds to do that. Most people just use the shuttle vans.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are ATMs safe?

I am guessing transfers aren't included in your package since you are asking about taxi's. So, you can do a shared van that goes to either the north hotel zone or the south hotel zone (you are in the south hotel zone, but not far south AT ALL). Coz Palace is just on the edge of town if not considered IN town.

If you prefer a taxi, you need to walk off airport grounds to get one. They are not allowed on airport grounds.

(I can't tell you prices of either because I always rent a car and though I have a rough idea, I don't want to mis-inform you)

ATM's - your hotel is right across the street from Chedraui and that is where I usually get my pesos, from the Banamex. I've never had a problem using my debit card. I alert my bank of my dates of travel and destination. I also tell them what I would typically draw out during my trip. (also alert your credit card company with the same info)

You can also make a purchase (if needed) at Chedraui and the change you will receive will be in pesos.

Depending on what you want to shop for, unless it is something big or a lot of stuff, you really don't need too much for US dollars other than for tipping and for taxis. Taxi drivers perfer US dollars. Try to have nice crisp newer bills if you can.

I usually bring $200-$300 US cash, often returning home with most of it because I use pesos for shopping and restaurants, and tip in US dollars.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are ATMs safe?

LOL, Jinx Froglegs

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
241 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are ATMs safe?

there is a MX peso ATM at the Palace, it's a bank owned ATM. It is located on the main floor in the hallway behind the lobby bar. There are also banked own ATM's across the street at the box store. No worries.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are ATMs safe?

Read the first Top Question to the right on transportation to your hotel.

Por favor

Texas City, Texas
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Are ATMs safe?

"box store??????? wHAT IS THIS ?????? just a regular grocery store type thing?

Branson, Missouri
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are ATMs safe?

Never had any trouble with the ATM's, I usually stick with the ones at the banks, just in case. But have used others with no issues. If you are asking about taxi's from the airport, I would stick with the vans from the airport. I'd guess around $8 per person to the Palace. I'm arriving on Sunday too, can't wait :-)

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are ATMs safe?

Maybe Garpts meant OXXO? They are convenience stores...like 7-11.