We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The First Family

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
The First Family

Mexicos First Family, that is. President Calderon and family arrived yesterday for the Christmas holidays in Cozumel. Its reported that yesterday afternoon, the President and family had the boats Mary Ann III and the Aldora for diving. Looks like the President has become a good , regular customer for Dive with Martin.

I am wating for my invitation to go to the Presidents house for Chrismas dinner but it hasnt arrived yet.

You can be sure the island will be a very secure place over the holidays.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Dive with Martin
Dive with Martin
444 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Branson, Missouri
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The First Family

The advance group of security Federales was staying at the same hotel as I am. they arrived Monday, including their armored personel truck. It was a little alarming the first time I looked out my window and saw all the trucks and machine guns in the parking area 8-|

Edited: 22 December 2011, 22:32
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The First Family

Yes, they do come out in force. My local friends tell me the Presidents security people like Cozumel because its easier to secure than most mainland locations.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The First Family

Looks like not only are the scooters dangerous to ride on the island but the bicycles can be also. Just ask President Calderon. While bicycle riding yesterday on the Melgar, the President fell off his bicycle and received some bruises and scratches. Appartently two of his security people were also slightly injured in the multiple bicycle pileup. Best to stick with the four wheeled vehicles!

Here is a link to the article with a photo of the President and some of his security detail. Looks like his security people could use some bike riding!

sipse.com/noticias/137039-sufre-caida-felipe…

Edited: 23 December 2011, 18:30
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The First Family

It would appear el Prez doesn't have experience with tri-bikes. The position of him in the photo is more aerodynamic, but unstable.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The First Family

Could be no one wants to tell the Prez his position is not correct. Maybe the next trip he will stick to diving!

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The First Family

Hey, that's no tri-bike! It's an ATB with suspension fork, skinny tires, & aero bars. And it looks like he wears cleats that lock his feet onto the pedals.

Melgar's varnished concrete may have led to the initial loss of control and that setup likely worked against his regaining it. Luckily, he came out much better here than he did in his last bike accident.

Edited: 27 December 2011, 03:32
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The First Family

Good eye Deb. I saw the forward handlebars and went immediately to his security detail and missed the suspension, tires (and mountain bike handlebars). Who cobbled together that ungainly ride?

I would have loaned him my GT if he has asked. (Of course, I'd need a deposit or some identification. "You want the 'full' insurance with that?")

It is good for Cozumel to have him there.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The First Family

He probably rents from a place that provides him with full insurance.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The First Family

mslf500:

I'll be on the island soon. Will you lend me your GT? I might (might!!) leave my passport as identification.

10. Re: The First Family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2013, 10:21