We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite thing to do

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
905 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite thing to do

Hi, we will be going to Cozumel March 9th for 2 weeks, we will be doing A/I, probably at El Coz, we have planned on Sunday to go to town for the music and dinner out,

Any recommendations that you wished you had known about earlier or things that you think are a must to do would be great

Thanks a lot. Happy new Years!

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite thing to do

Two weeks is a goodly amount of time. You'll be able to see and do everything in two weeks.

Tour the east side, sail on the Tucan, visit Chankanaab, Punta Sur and Discover Mexico. Cozumel's museum is very nice. Take the snorkel tour from Playa Palancar. Visit a different beach club everyday. Snorkel or dive as much as possible. That's what I'd do...just my 2 cents.

I'm not interested in the small ruins or the tequila "factory" but many people enjoy those places.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite thing to do

I have many favorite things to do...several east side days-pack a cooler, lunch on the way. Money Bar two-fer's days, Wet Wendy's Wednesdays (usually salsa), then on to Love Cafe Wednesdays, Friday/Saturday nights salsa - Aquino at Viva Mexico and/or Tiki Tok salsa, Sunday CCC and Playa Azul.

Always a list of 3-4 "new to me" restaurants to try.

Kaokao Choc. factory tour

Spend more time on 65, I've been up and down 30 enough now to know what I like and don't like.

Shop for more jeans...Fergino House of Jeans

Get more drug rugs (as my kids call them), Mexican pullovers - we all love them and wear them all the time at home.

Love to hit the Mercado, early morning walk to town.

Where you will be, N end, I'd see if you can snag a thermos of coffee and some brekky food and walk way north, early in the AM for a beach breakfast. Aaahhh, heaven!

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite thing to do

go over to the east side for sure and go sailing on the Tucan. Every visit to the island those are on my must do list.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
905 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite thing to do

Thanks for some great ideas, I just finished checking out sailing on the Tucan, this sounds like lots of fun, and a great way to meet people.....shopping ....of course...lol. Dinner /lunch ..we usually go into the nearest town 2/3 times and find someplace to eat ...seems as if we can never find the places people recommend but have always lucked out and food has been good

The AM picnic sounds so nice... We will just fill our bubbas with coffee and grab some food, we usually walk daily after breakfast so this will be just earlier

thanks again

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
860 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite thing to do

I agree with everything posted above.

A few more-

Try Coconut ice cream!

Bring flashlights and "carefully" explore rocky shorelines at night. You can see a ton of critters that you don't see during the day. We used to start at Hotel Cozumel and go south to the lighthouse.

If you are a first-timer to Coz, get the CAN DO COZUMEL map. It's FULL of excellent information, IMO.

Have an Orange Fanta with a plate of Tacos pastor late at night.

Go downtown one early morning and watch the town come alive. Vendors and Diveshops opening and hauling tanks, locals eating their breakfasts from street carts. Families dropping members at work.... It's a different "feel" before the downtown cranks up for the day.

Leave the hotel as often as you can and explore safely, day and night.

And most importantly-

Post a trip report!!!!

Hope you have a great trip!

Retemrap

Edited: 31 December 2011, 13:37
Lakewood Ranch...
Level Contributor
211 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite thing to do

As mentioned above, the Money Bar is the place to go for a beautiful view and snorkeling without the crowds (if you go in the am).

In the evenings they have a band and it's a nice, laid back place to enjoy fun with friends.

This our favorite must-do snorkeling spot every time we visit Cozumel. We will be there in late March for our 12th visit.

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite thing to do

Well you will have a load of time to do what you want. I stayed at El Coz one time. Loved the place but the food got old after a few days. I would take atleast one trip ( more than one)to the east side.

I love going to CHedraui and Mega.

Lots of snorkelling in different places. You may want to buy your own gear.

Renting a car from Margarita at Isis. She is so nice. (Even after I get a ticket and the car towed). Her nephew took us to the Police station and got the car back with no $$ paid to the Police.

If you are not dive certified try it. Alot to take in but we went out with Scuba Tony. I hope we are certified before we go back.

Ummm. the food in town. Please eat at Del Sur for me. and El Foco. And Casa Denis. And some churros. well I could keep going on here.

Oh the ice cream. I do not know what place we went to last year but we tried everything. Even Corn ice cream.

Do yourself a favor. Get a mapchick map.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite thing to do

Elote, corn, ice cream. I forget about that one but I actually liked it. The ice cream stores have many different flavors. Coconut is very common all over Mexico and a favorite of mine.

Great suggestions by Retemrap. Another good really local experience is to go in the morning for empanadas or tacos, and a Coke, to the back patio at Casa Denis. Thats where you will find the locals enjoying a variety of very good, cheap empanadas.

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite thing to do

Yes the Elote is very good. I dont think I could eat a whole cone of it but I am sure it is very popular. There were some other not so common (at home) flavors that we tried. I cant remember what they were though.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite thing to do

Another acquired taste, was having popcorn at the cinema with my friends. I remember the first time they passed the popcorn and I started to eat it and realized what it had on it was hot sauce and not butter. Took a bit of getting used to but I like it now.