We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel to Xel Ha... Please help ASAP!

Calgary
Level Contributor
23 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel to Xel Ha... Please help ASAP!

Hello fellow travelers,

I am currently in Cozumel staying at the Nah Ha condominiums. There are five people in our party and we do have a rental vehicle. I am wondering what the most cost effective way for us to visit Xel Ha would be. We would also like to visit the Tulum ruins while there. Nah Ha condos offers their own tour reservation service. The cost this way is $136/person which includes ground transfer once at the mainland but does not include the ferry ride ($13/person + additional vehicle transportation costs if we were to drive). Would it be cheaper to book this online or from a different agency. If we book online through the xel ha website is there any ground transportation services. We are hoping to book this today so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel to Xel Ha... Please help ASAP!

Some people say that you cannot take a rental car on the ferry to the mainland...others say you can. I would not. I think it depends on who you have rented the car from.

You can just do this trip on your own and not book any tour agency...if you really want to be cost effective.

Do the people ferry to the mainland and then take the ADO bus south to your destination(s).

You really don't need a tour...it's easy-peasy.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel to Xel Ha... Please help ASAP!

Sorry I can't help, but Xel Ha? I can see going to Xcaret, the ruins, and a cenote, because you don't have that on Cozumel of that caliber. But going to Xel Ha, is like going to Disney's Animal Kingdom, instead of going to to Africa?

Cozumel is second to none for snorkeling and diving, or at the very least, close. Why spend money doing more snorkeling at a place that isnt cheap, isnt close?

Just saying...

Art

P.S. Xcaret has snuba, underground rivers, animals, space needle, dolphins, etc. And the best nightly show I have ever seen.

It's your coin and time not mine. Enjoy.

Brillion, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel to Xel Ha... Please help ASAP!

I agree with frogleggs very easy to do on your own. Also you can get a collectivo from the highway. I've done both and would do Xel-Ha over Xcaret by far. Yes the night show isn't available at Xel-Ha but all-inclusive is the way to go, Xcaret expensive for everything.

Calgary
Level Contributor
23 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel to Xel Ha... Please help ASAP!

Ok, thanks for the input. Now I guess the question is what to do.. We were really looking forward to a few of the other activities at xel ha like the cliff jumping and it is my understanding that there are some cenotes at xel ha as well. Would we still get to do these things at Xcaret? If we went to Xcaret would it still be plausible to visit the Tulum ruins?

Calgary
Level Contributor
23 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel to Xel Ha... Please help ASAP!

Also since this is my first time in Cozumel, what exactly is the ADO bus? What is a collectivo? Where would we board the ADO bus? How much does this cost? Any other tips? Thanks for all of your help!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel to Xel Ha... Please help ASAP!

When you get off the ferry on the Playa side, you simply walk up 5th Avenue to the ADO which is about 1 block up on the left hand side of the street. Go into the building and turn to the right you will see the ticket booth and the prices are posted above the ticket windows. They are very clear and easy to understand. The buses have air conditioning and a small television that shows movies dubbed in Spanish.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,696 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel to Xel Ha... Please help ASAP!

Don't use the car ferry. Simply not worth the time and cost. We did it a long time ago. Too few ferries and there is the chance your ferry could be full and you will miss the boat.

Take the people ferry over via a one way ticket. Rent a car from ISIS in Playa del Carmen. About $50 for the day plus fuel for a very nice sedan.

Spend the AM in Tulum. It is a 45-60 minute drive. There is a pay parking lot. ($5) You can catch an open trailer tram to the ruins or you can walk 5 minutes. Your call. You purchase the the guided tour or do a self directed tour once you get to the ticket office.

There are plenty of good places to eat in Tulum (the town), which is a few minutes from the ruins and further south.

Xel Ha has an admission fee and I don't think you'd get your money's worth in a few hours. I'd also suggest a cenote. Possibly Dos Ojos. (Two Eyes) Spend a few hours there and then return the car after stopping at the Pemex near town. Walk back the ferry and purchase return tickets on the next ferry.

Have fun at the "Ha". I'm kind of fond of 602 myself.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel to Xel Ha... Please help ASAP!

Personally, I would prefer to swim with the sea turtles for free in Akumal instead of dealing with disney crowds at Xel Ha and Xcaret.

Here are directions (with photos) for going to the mainland and traveling south. It stops at akumal but you can stay on the bus (ADO or Mayab) or colectivo and continue to Tulum.

https:/…

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel to Xel Ha... Please help ASAP!

I agree, thanks Elletek. I agree that swimming with the turtles is a must do, and totally forgot to steer you in that direction. That's one thing that you can't get on the island? A turtle siting, consistently that is.

We also like Rio Secreto. So with that said. Tulum ruins and half day reduced rate at Xcaret, or Tulum Ruins, swimming with the turtles at Akumal and Rio Secreto.

Sorry to not be on the Xel Ha side of things. Been there, done it, I am moving on...

Art

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cozumel to Xel Ha... Please help ASAP!

Additional pictures to find the ADO bus station in PDC

tinyurl.com/7m3r6