We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

port area

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
1,976 reviews
Save Topic
port area

What is worthwhile "hitting" in the port area on the way back to the ship after an excursion?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: port area

I don't know. Just be sure to stay away from jewelry stores. There are only 2 or 3 on the island that I trust to sell me quality jewelry and they aren't in the port area. That area gets the most complaints for fraud. And of course NEVER buy expensive jewelry while on vacation. It's just asking for trouble.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: port area

Los Cinco Soles at Puerta Maya & Punta Langosta -- Trustworthy merchant stocking all kinds of Mexican-crafted products including vanilla, Cozumel-made chocolate bars (Kaokao brand), Honey caramel candies (only buy the plain type -- without chile), Dunes brand gauze women's clothing, some nice & inexpensive silver jewelry if they're running a sale.

And of course the duty free for booze!

Edited: 05 January 2012, 23:04
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
1,976 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: port area

Thanks..I would never buy jewelry on vaca. I'm from NY, so most items I can easily buy at home, but I do like local purchases and Booze can always be a good purchase!

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: port area

I forgot there was a Cinco at the pier (I never have a reason to go there). It's my favorite store...in town and at the airport.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: port area

Can anyone help me: Can I start and finish a cruise in a mexican port (like Cozumel, Riviera Maya)?

Thank u

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,058 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: port area

Currently, I think not. One ship used Cozumel as a home port for awhile but apparently it didnt generate enough business and no longer available. I understand lines such as Carnival will allow you to disembark in Cozumel but you pay for the roundtrip cruise.

I also forget about Cinco at the pier. My favorite place to shop.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
1,976 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: port area

I am coming back in March--but this time staying on island...! Cant wait!

8. Re: port area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2013, 10:19