We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silver Jewelry

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
orlando
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Silver Jewelry

Am I better off shopping for unusual, high quality Silver Jewelry in Cozumel or Costa Maya? Any specific recommendation?

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silver Jewelry

You are better off shopping for unusual, high quality silver jewelry where you know and trust the jeweler.

Gatineau, Quebec
Level Contributor
686 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silver Jewelry

In order to know if you are getting good quality silver you have look for the 9.25 logo on the item and carry with you a small magnet. If it sticks to it don't buy it and if it doesn't and bargain for it because the price on the water front are inflated and the further you go back from there the better the price will be.

So the place where to buy something is not related to an area but the quality of what they can offer. Cozumel has great shops that offer very good quality items.

Have fun shopping.

Lyne in Gatineau, Canada

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silver Jewelry

the 9.25 thing is easily and often faked.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,953 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silver Jewelry

'and carry with you a small magnet. If it sticks to it don't buy it

This is a common misconception. It`s true that PURE silver is not magnetic but 925 silver is 92.5% silver and 7.5% something else - usually copper but not always. It is possible for geniune sterling silver to be magnetic. It`s also possible for fake silver to pass the magnet test.

The ONLY way to be sure of what you`re buying is to use a chemical testing kit. You can buy them on eBay but good luck with using that in front of a vendor.

Remember that, as a tourist, you are a perfect `mark` for a scam. By the time you discover your jewelley is fake, you`re likely hundreds, if not thousands of miles away, and in no position to seek compensation other than to come on forums like this and tell your tale of woe. For that reason, I always recommend that you buy something because you like it and are happy with the price you`re paying. That way, if it turns out to be fake, you won`t be so upset.

If you plan on spending a lot of money on your jewellery purchase, you either need to get yourself educated on silver and silversmithing or buy from someone closer to home where you do have some assurances and guarantees about authenticity.

And, as Katzgar says, the 925 stamp is easily faked. A stamp and a something to whack it with - that`s all you need!

miami
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Silver Jewelry

what is the best store for buy jewelry and a watch in cozumel?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silver Jewelry

Los Cinco Soles for jewelry. IMO the jewelry and watches etc. are not going to be that much cheaper than you would pay in the states. But the variety is fun. Do NOT be foolish enough to buy expensive jewelry on vacation.

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silver Jewelry

You can take a cheap Silver Testing Kit with you....

www.scales-n-tools.com/index.php…

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
377 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silver Jewelry

Sergio's. He has two shops. We went to the one on Juarez, I think between 5th & 10th, Northside of the street.

Fair prices, good quality.

Canal Winchester...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silver Jewelry

We like Sergios and Los Cincos, but again it is not much cheaper than at home if you buy a quality piece....with that said Wet Wendy's has a jewerly shop and we also found several very unique pieces there.

Cedar Springs
Level Contributor
82 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Silver Jewelry

I second WindLaker's recommendation. Sergio's just east of the square. Brothers Sergio, Jr and Robert have always been great to work with, negotiate fair prices and stand behind their jewelry. I bought a silver bracelet from them three years ago, tends to break because of the design and they repair it free, no questions asked. No pressure here and I'm confident in their quality.