We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Cozumel & Resort, Casa del Mar, or El Cid la Ceiba???

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel Cozumel & Resort, Casa del Mar, or El Cid la Ceiba???

Been to Cozumel numerous times. Always stay at the Iberostar or Fiesta Americana. We are divers, but not hardcore. Go a couple of times. Our favorite thing to do is rent a jeep, hit all the bars on the east side, check out the restaurant in town and chill at the pool and beach a bit. We eat very little at the resort since we like to be out and about mostly. If we eat at all at the resort, it is usually breakfast.

Looking to do something a bit different this year. Thinking of staying closer to town part of the week and then stay on the east side at Ventanas for a couple of nights. Kind of do the go-go-go city thing, then the relaxation thing.

What are your thoughts on Hotel Cozumel & Resort, Casa del Mar, and El Cid la Ceiba for the town portion of our trip? I would like to have a fairly nice beach area to lounge at, but don’t need the typical sandy, sandy beach and know I am not going to get that in that area. But, I do want a clean, comfortable, safe room. Is the tunnel walk from Casa del Mar a negative?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
237 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Cozumel & Resort, Casa del Mar, or El Cid la Ceiba???

Casa Del Mar actually doesn't have a tunnel, they have a bridge over to the water, not to pick nits, just to clarify. The little beach area is very nice and laid back, since it is mainly a divers place very little competition for the palappas and loungers. The rooms are nice, a little small, but clean. We really only ate our breakfast there, and lunch once. Food was good but we like to hit town for dinner. Can't speak to the other places, but we like CDM and will be Back in a month.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
441 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Cozumel & Resort, Casa del Mar, or El Cid la Ceiba???

I would go for Cozumel Resort. It is right on the edge of town, an easy stroll to everything. The pool area is the largest in Cozumel. The beach is across the street, but there is an underground tunnel that leads directly to a nice beach club. The El Cid and Casa del Mar are a taxi ride away from the main part of town. Also El Cid is known for selling daypasses to Cruise Ship tourists which crowds the small pool area.

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Cozumel & Resort, Casa del Mar, or El Cid la Ceiba???

Going back to Casa del Mar for the second time next month also!

Mostly this decision was price driven but a couple bonus' about CDM, for me anyway, the hot tub is actually hot and I love that you can enter Nachi Cocom for free plus get a 20% discount on food/beverage.

See you next month yellowhed68? Carnaval?

MN
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Cozumel & Resort, Casa del Mar, or El Cid la Ceiba???

Never been to El Cid. Been to Casa del Mar probably 6-7 times, like the breakfast, beach area o.k., quiet, nice to snorkel out front, bridge to beach, rooms a little dated, probably 20-30 minute walk to edge of town(we do that after breakfast), staff very respectful/helpful. Hotel Cozumel, been there 2-3 time and going again in a month. Good breakfast, nice beach area (larger), nice snorkeling, tonnel to beach, easy walk to edge of town, maybe 5-10 minutes, rooms nicer than Cal del Mar., more people, still on the quiet side. We go for 10 days, rent ISIS probably 6-7 days and head to the eastside and south/west most of the time. I'm told I like to go all the time when I'm there, not much lay by the beach ALL day. Feel we know a fair amount of the island.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
237 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Cozumel & Resort, Casa del Mar, or El Cid la Ceiba???

Yes wineott, we are in Coz for Carnaval, we are staying the first 3 nights at the Palace with a group of friends, then my wife and I are moving to CDM for last 4 nights. <30 days!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Cozumel & Resort, Casa del Mar, or El Cid la Ceiba???

I would also have to say the CDM is one of our favorite places to stay. We have also stayed at Ventanas on the east side. We will be back at CDM in March for our 4th time. They have a pretty decent breakfast, staff have always been friendly and attentive, beach is small and quiet and like an earlier post said, the rooms are small but, I don't go to Cozumel to spend a whole lot of time in the room. Can't wait to be back...snowing and below 0 here today!

7. Re: Hotel Cozumel & Resort, Casa del Mar, or El Cid la Ceiba???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2013, 10:20