We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying over to Cozumel from the Cancun airport?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Flying over to Cozumel from the Cancun airport?

Wondering if anyone has done this recently?

It seems it is almost cheaper and most definitely faster this way for 3 of us. Hints on doing this? - or just straight forward.

First time for not booking a package vacation.

Thanks

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying over to Cozumel from the Cancun airport?

It is probably twice as much as the bus/ferry. Use the search block and input

Maya Air

Also see mayair.com.mx

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying over to Cozumel from the Cancun airport?

when I come out of the customs immigration area I just went outside and looked for someone/anyone from Lomas travel. . or just start asking anyone for Mayair flight. Tell them you already have a ticket and need to get to Mayair.

I was directed over to a shuttle vehicle and taken to the part of the airport where the Mayair flight departs from. Tipped the driver 2 bucks.

I ended up waiting there in the tiny terminal for almost 1 hour. There is nothing to do there except sit and wait. No restaurant or bar. . . but it was so easy. . no problems what so ever and I was traveling (first time) as a solo female.

I loved the flight. Sat right up behind the pilot and checked out all the controls. :-)

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying over to Cozumel from the Cancun airport?

Just curious, why not fly directly into Coz? Or is this option that much cheaper?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,919 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying over to Cozumel from the Cancun airport?

If the flight times are right, you can save almost a whole day of your vacation. How much is that worth?

Edited: 22 January 2012, 02:43
Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying over to Cozumel from the Cancun airport?

I think it is a great option to have, but you are only looking at 2 to 2 1/2 hrs to bus and ferry( could be less). The flying could be 1 to 2 hrs. I'm not understanding the losing a day?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying over to Cozumel from the Cancun airport?

Using Maya Air may save an hour or two compared to the bus/ferry or the time delta may be less. How that equates to a whole day of vacation time eludes me.

Personally, I can get up 30 minutes sooner each day and more than make up for that aspect.

You have the option. Choose whichever floats your boat.

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying over to Cozumel from the Cancun airport?

because sometimes a direct flight or only one connection makes it worth it to fly into Cancun. Sitting in US airports on and off planes all day can take a whole day of travel time too. Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.

In my case, when I came in October I had no flight arriving in Cozumel on a Thursday that did not involve an overnight US airport layover. So I chose to fly into Cancun. I got there on the day I wanted to get there and it was cheaper.

I

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,919 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying over to Cozumel from the Cancun airport?

I just merely explained that if the flight times are condusive to take Mayan air then take the 15 min flight. Our customers vow once they take Mayan Air just for the convienience, it is not worth doing the Taxi-Boat-Bus-Plane just for the less hassle. Why it "Eludes" people who think that this is not a viable option is just a matter of choice to an alternative way of getting from point A to point B.....

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying over to Cozumel from the Cancun airport?

I never stated that it was not a viable option. It is hardly a "day of travel" saver.

Another point is that if you add the cost of the Maya Air flight you may be at a point where just paying for the Cozumel flight makes sense. That is if you have an option into Cozumel. Not everyone does.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying over to Cozumel from the Cancun airport?

Its not the trip to Cancun and then to Cozumel that makes this decision easy for me, its the trip from Cozumel to Cancun on the return flight in the morning that makes me never want to do the Cancun airport again. Not to mention its a zoo around spring break, which is when I travel.

Art

P.S. This kid would rather spend more on my flight to Cozumel, and be sipping a beer on the beach within an hour, instead of the pain in the a__ hassle from the gate, people, luggage carousel, customs, waiting for the bus, stopping at a few stops before getting to PDC, hauling my bags down to the ferry pier, and then over to the island on rough seas.