We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walkie talkies on Cozumel

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
walkie talkies on Cozumel

We are vacationing with another couple on Cozumel and thought that a set of walkie talkies would be great to keep in touch around the resort and for trips into town.

Has anyone else taken them through the airport?

Would there be a problem with this?

Is it best to pack them in your luggage or carry on?

also

Where is the best place in town (and easiest) to convert US$ to pesos? Is it best to get a few pesos at the airport before the hotel so that you have tips and cab fair to go into town the first time?

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: walkie talkies on Cozumel

On the topic of two-way radios......

They simply dont work for crud there. At least not the ones we have tried and I've heard others state the same thing. It MAY be the composition of the island? Not sure, but you can always try it again. You may want to contact your cell phone provider instead and see about adding a temporary international plan instead. We get 100 minutes for about 15 bucks for a week with Verizon.

Have a great trip!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walkie talkies on Cozumel

I see the people coming in on the cruise ships using them all the time. Not too sure what brand, but it seems to keep them in touch in town.

You can use USD when you first arrive. Most of the exchange places and the banks have their rates posted. They all seem to be about the same rate of exchange. The best place to exchange is at Mega they usually will give you 13.5 to 1. But that's not the best route if you want to exchange a lot.

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walkie talkies on Cozumel

I had a pair that I used a couple of years ago on a road trip all the way from Brownsville to Cozumel. Worked without the first issue. Just changed out the batteries each evening with a fresh set.

Simply pack them in your checked luggage with the batteries out and you won't have an issue.

Mega will not do a direct dollar for pesos exchange. You can use your US dollars to buy groceries and get pesos for change.

There is an ATM at the airport, downtown, and at the various banks. A small fee and you can withdrawn up to about 6,000 pesos a day.

Some machines will ask if you want dollars. Be sure you click on pesos.

And just in case I would call your bank, talk to security and make sure that they know that you are traveling to Mexico. Your card might work one time and be locked out.

If you tip the driver with $1 bills he will gladly take them.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walkie talkies on Cozumel

I don't know if this helps any, but if actual walkie talkies don't work, you could download HeyTell on your droid. It utilizes wi-fi, so you'd have to be in range of some, easy to find in town. Then you can record and send up to a 30 second message.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walkie talkies on Cozumel

we use walkie's every we go they work especially well on cruise ships through several decks infact they are now renting them out. We bought our set at Costco. and tested them by driving away from home to test the real distance.And best of all I never have to have my wife say "I've been looking all over for you" 5 years of great use.,

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walkie talkies on Cozumel

Electronics in checked luggage may be stolen. Carry-on is the best way IMO.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walkie talkies on Cozumel

thanks everybody...lots of good ideas

I was kinda hoping that they would have those little windows in the walls somewhere, like they do in Playa del Carmen to exchange US$.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,481 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walkie talkies on Cozumel

You will find plenty of those but not with the best exchange rate. I use ATMs for all my cash and the best exchange rate.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walkie talkies on Cozumel

Robert,

I think Paridise Guys are from Ontario, Canada. The ATM is not as great when drawn on a Canadian bank or credit union. It was costing us around 15.00 CAD or more for every 4000 pesos we withdrew. We started wiring money down here every three months because it was much less expensive.

Indy
Level Contributor
995 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: walkie talkies on Cozumel

We have Motorola walkie talkies. They worked well for us on the island. We were able to communicate at pretty good distances across town. We packed them in our carry on.