We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cozumel sailing/tucan

Maine, United States
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cozumel sailing/tucan

Does anyone know if this is something I can book through Sabor when I get there? I see that I can book online but I want to wait until I either get there or maybe a couple of days before so I can check weather first. I know Sabor has an excursion for Fury but it looks like they load up their boats pretty full. I like the fact that cozumel sailing adds a bit of fishing in their trip. How about those spinnakers? Anyone every do this? I am a chicken and it looks like you are not strapped in like parasail. Finally, what reefs do they snorkel at? I have read that Palancar Reef is the best.

Tennessee Ridge...
Level Contributor
293 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cozumel sailing/tucan

Sailed on the Tucan last year. Think you have to book direct with them. They sail out of the harbor on the north end of the island and stay north. You will have to take a taxi to the harbor. They do set out 2 rods. Hit or miss fishing as usually. Spinnaker rides depends on the wind. Food and drink excellent, snorkeling ok.

Edited: 29 January 2012, 13:32
MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cozumel sailing/tucan

I would email them directly and at least give them a heads up as to what day(s) you are thinking of doing this...see if they even have room for you.

http://cozumelsailing.com/tucan.html

The spinnaker ride is awesome. No, you are not strapped in, it's like sitting on a swing. They don't go up very high and if you ask them to be gentle, they won't hoist you up high.

The snorkeling is so-so. Some coral heads up north. I did see a ray one time.

Everything involved with the Tucan is dependent on the weather. If it's not windy enough, you won't do spinnaker rides. The fishing is simply putting out a line while you motor north. I have never seen them catch anything but some friends of mine did. :)

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
175 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cozumel sailing/tucan

We booked ahead of time online for Feb 15---you only need to make a deposit of $10/person. Yes, it is dependent on the weather but they don't take a lot of people on the boat so we didn't want to tke a chance of not being able to go when we wanted to because it would be full. They were also very good about trying to "match" you with people as you need a minimum of 6 to sail for the day. Very easy to deal with via email. We're looking forward to it---hope you will too!

Maine, United States
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: cozumel sailing/tucan

Thanks everyone!

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cozumel sailing/tucan

Inga R:

Pre-booking is the way to go. They need to know number of passengers in advance and at this time of year, many people are booking private charters.

The Tucan carries a maximum of 16 people on a regular (non-private) sail. The snorkel spots are far from spectacular but the overall experience most definitely is. Bring bug spray if you plan on taking the Tucan dingy over to Passion Island for the bugs.

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cozumel sailing/tucan

This is absolutely my favorite activity. We have been on it many times and have never been disappointed! We have caught fish several times and have seen the crew use the anesthesia ((baseball bat) to subdue the catch. They cook a wonderful lunch of fajitas, fish, chicken wings, pasta salad, guacamole and pico, retried beans... Yummy! Drinks are never empty! Definitely email ahead of time and see when they are available. They do fill up!!

Sheridan, Arkansas
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cozumel sailing/tucan

Definitely email them. Heck, our group scheduled six months in advance because we're looking forward to it and wanted to make sure we'd secure spots. They've been great to deal with in email.

PS to Inga -- I tried to send you an FR on Facebook (like we talked about in another thread re: Sabor) but there isn't an option to do it on your page. Didn't want you to think that I didn't follow through. :-)

Maine, United States
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: cozumel sailing/tucan

oh ok let me see if I have something blocked. Yup I had it so only friends of friends could send me friend request..all set now.

Edited: 29 January 2012, 17:28
Ontario
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cozumel sailing/tucan

Drinks are never empty!

----------

Yes. Do be careful. My husband has a picture of his watch showing 9:35 am and I'm in the background holding a margarita. I don't necessarily recommend starting with margaritas at 9:30, especially if a miniscule breakfast was eaten to offset any possible seasickness.

I'd do the trip again in a heartbeat...but I'd totally eat breakfast first.

Sheridan, Arkansas
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cozumel sailing/tucan

Inga, sent! I'm Lisa, by the way. ;-)

Desmei, I'm laughing about the margarita. I can't say I won't do the same thing. I'll just make sure there are no watches present.

We're hoping for enough of a breeze for some of us to do the spinnaker.