We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current @ Punta Sur?

Mays Landing, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Current @ Punta Sur?

My wife and I will be in Coz for nine days in May, our fifth time. Staying @ a Condo north of town, will rent a car and bum around and snorkel. Looking for shore snorkeling trips that are beautiful and relaxing, the less we have to fight currents, the better. Ant suggestions for easy entry and exit shore snorkel spots without strong currents would be great. Thanks

Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current @ Punta Sur?

I guess conditions change, but I never noticed much current at Punta Sur

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
260 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current @ Punta Sur?

If you are staying north of town why not take advantage of the current to make your snorkeling better ? What we do is enter the water just south of the coral princess hotel (there is an empty lot where you have free acess ) then use the current to drift to the public acess beach just north of Las Brisas condos & walk out. It takes just over an hour to drift there without doing any real work & ther is lots of stuff to see in the water

Mays Landing, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current @ Punta Sur?

Thanks Joe, we have snorkeled many places and many times in Cozumel, but never north of town. North of town will be new to us. We are staying at Miramar, hope the snorkeling is good in front of the condo. Do you know how far Coral Princess is from Miramar? Walking distance, I hope. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current @ Punta Sur?

Totally go to Punta Sur... its our favorite spot to snorkel at and we go every visit... its a bit of a swim out to the reef and they have 2 large buoy's you can rest on if tired on the way out... but we just go right out (snorkeling is relaxing to us) but once out to the reef you swim parallel along the shore for a long drift snorkel... there is current but its always been pleasant drifting us along the reef... and you don't have to work against it... Just have someone mark out the buoy markings of where to go and then where to swim back to shore...and then you walk back to where your stuff is at (for us by all the hammocks) Its very pretty... a ton of fish and beautiful sea fans. If you love snorkeling you will love this.

Coral Princess is in deep water not a gradual walk into water... but nice too... this place can have a current ... but the current is usually drifting either way along the shore... we just first snorkel against the current and then on the way back we are not so tired... and just drift and enjoy the scenery.

I also like snorkeling north from Playa Azul beach... we just order something from the waiters at the hotel and enjoy the view and then go for a nice swim/snorkel... really pretty beach, easy entry and nice snorkeling by the abandoned hotel next to Playa Azul.

These are our top places we like to snorkel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
260 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current @ Punta Sur?

Blockhead,

Coral Princess is just over 100 yards south of miramar. The water along the wall is about 12 ft. deep & there is lots to see. From where you are staying it is a really short walk & is totally free enjoy

ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
69 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current @ Punta Sur?

We love snorkeling in the north. We were introduced to snorkeling at Sol Cabanas del Caribe, the abandoned property just north of Play Azul. We stay at Condumel, which is south of Puerto Abrigo. The snorkeling is great all the way from the north edge of town to the marina. It is also good in the Coral Princess area and in front of the old hotel property Cozumel Caribe.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current @ Punta Sur?

Blockhead, you will enjoy the North shore snorkeling.

Walk south just past Coral Princess. There is a vacant lot right next to CP and is a good place to jump in. Drift back to Miramar or all the way to Las Brisas and walk back.

Alternatively, I just snorkel against the current from Nah Ha (next to Miramar) to CP and then drift back.

At the north end next to the B Hotel is a small crevasse in the wall. If you are lucky, there will be a spotted eel and a green eel hiding in there. If you see the nearly coralled over chain link fence between Nah Ha and Miramar, there is a spotted eel there as well. Try different times of the day and you will see different things.

My wife saw an Eagle Ray in December that was close to shore.

Mays Landing, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current @ Punta Sur?

Thanks for all the help. Waiting for map chick's updated map. I am sure that will help, although exploring should fun also. Cant wait. Now thinking about renting a car for more than a day, so many places to go and play.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
206 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current @ Punta Sur?

Punta Sur is one of my favs. You just can't beat that long reef and fan coral, then strolling up to Coconuts for cold drinks! This thread has been helpful to me, the north snorkeling by Playa Azul sounds inviting, we'll have to check that out this May!

Boston...
Level Contributor
156 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current @ Punta Sur?

Check this link for some cool shore snorkeling. I'm going back in two weeks and will hit these spots again!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k34838…