We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer From Cancun To Cozumel

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Antigua
Level Contributor
199 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer From Cancun To Cozumel

On a package holiday from the UK, how long is the transfer from Cancun airport to Cozumel. If we arrived at Cancun at about 4 O´Clock in the afternoon, what time could we expect to arrive in Cozumel.

Thank you.

Maine, United States
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer From Cancun To Cozumel

I had considered flying into Cancun so I did a little research. Read that it is about an hour drive from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen ferry terminal and then another 45 minutes or so on the ferry. Giving a time will be difficult because if you get to the ferry terminal right after they leave then you may have a longer wait than if you got there just before it leaves. There is a blue link to the left of this page that gives answers to getting from Cancun to Cozumel. I did not feel it was worth saving $100.

adriancoz
Level Contributor
306 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer From Cancun To Cozumel

There is also an airshuttle Mayair and its definitly worth it. It takes 15 minutes and you are here without the hassle of missing the ferry and wait an hour at the pier:)

Iowa
Level Contributor
440 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer From Cancun To Cozumel

Also if you take the ferry you are responsible to carry all your own luggage from the bus or taxi several blocks from where they can let you off to the pier and on and off of the ferry. This can be a major hassel if traveling with a group with lots of luggage.

adriancoz
Level Contributor
306 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer From Cancun To Cozumel

There is people on tricycles that can help you carry all your stuff. They charge 40 pesos and are located right out from the terminal and also from the pier. But still a hazzle:)

cozumel
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer From Cancun To Cozumel

On the contrary......not a hassle at all. Like Adrian says, the tricyclo guys are right there waiting to take your bags to the ferry pier (you can even ride on the seat if you want to!......hahha). The COOL thing is that when you get to the ferry ticket office, they will wait for you AND afterwards, they are allowed to take your bags right up to the boat, whereas, you have to wait back in line until they commence boarding. Personally, I love seeing my bags up close to the secured area, in the event that it's a wait for the next boat. Time to go do something else!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
373 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer From Cancun To Cozumel

You should plan on it taking approximately 4 hours to get to Coz if you do the bus/ferry option. We have done it in two hours, but that was with a private car waiting for us at the CUN airport and running to catch the ferry in Playa del Carmen.

Edited: 04 February 2012, 17:24
Antigua
Level Contributor
199 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer From Cancun To Cozumel

Thank´s for your replys, but my transfers would be booked and paid for in my package from the UK. I was wondering if anybody from the UK had done this and how long it took.

If it´s a hassle then I´ll just book for the Mayan Riviera, but I would prefer Cozumel for the Sunsets, which you dont get on the mainland.

Maine, United States
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer From Cancun To Cozumel

Check Mayaair.com....it is flight from CUN to CZM $58 per person...15 min flight.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer From Cancun To Cozumel

When my Dad came to visit me when I was in Cozumel for a month, he did exactly like you.

He flew from Manchester to Cancun and, he didn't utter a word of complaint, but I could see how exhausted he was when he landed, then we had just missed a shuttle, got to Playa, and had not long missed a ferry. It was misery and I really regretted putting him through it. It easy added about three hours to his already very long journey

I would now recommend:

a) if you can and it's not a major pain, fly direct to Cozumel, even if it means transferring in London;

b) fly Mayair from Cancun airport to Cozumel. I've done it and I love it. It's really easy, cheap and the views are unbelievable.

Stick with your choice of Cozumel, you wont be sorry.

I hope you have a lovely time.

Maria

North America
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer From Cancun To Cozumel

Believe me, when your plane leaves at 6 in the morning, and you land in Cancun, wait for your luggage, go through customs, etc., then proceed to catch the bus, arrive at the bus station in Playa only to find you have missed the ferry by minutes and there isn't another one scheduled for 2 hours - it is a hassle and it is very tiring. For those that don't mind, that's fine. The last couple of times I had to land in Cancun as that was the only option - I flew Maya Air and it was worth it and I would use them again. It is nice to arrive to Cozumel without every bone in your body aching.The bus and ferry is an adventure I can do without at this point. At least there are choices.