We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allegro Occidental

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Allegro Occidental

Anyone have any feedback on this resort? I'm looking into going there the end of February with a couple of friends who have not gone AI Caribbean resorts before. They wants lots of night life and activities. We have a limited budget and there is a great deal for this resort. If not on the resort are there places close by to go to? Thanks for any advice!

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Allegro Occidental

I really like the Allegro, but there's not what you'd call a lot of "night life" at the resort. There's a disco/sports bar, but that's about it. It's also a LONG way from town, so taxis are expensive, about $18...but if you're getting a really good deal on the hotel, why not?

Menomonie, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
784 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Allegro Occidental

How is the beach at this hotel compared to others like the Iberostary or the sabor? Does the Allegra have good chips, salsa, and guacamole?

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Allegro Occidental

Well, If you stay at the Allegro the only thing you can do is go up from there for an AI on the island.

Check out the Iberostar.

However the beach is nice. Food not so much. The beds super hard. I did like the grounds and the layout just it has by far been the worst AI for food we have stayed at.

If its a great deal you can make good with anything go and have fun.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allegro Occidental

The beach is beautiful, with all sand in the water, unlike the Iberostar, which has a lot of coral (but that makes for better snorkeling).

I like the food just fine at the Allegro, and love hard beds, so I've never had a bad night's sleep. The lower level rooms are quieter, though, as you've got more concrete between you and the neighbours', and the birds REALLY like to party in the thatched roofs every morning. Early.

Ft.Worth Tx
Level Contributor
429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Allegro Occidental

The Allegro has the best beach when compared to the other AI's. The reviews for the food have improved lately. I have never had a problem finding something to eat there. The Allegro is a long way from town and it is not very lively in the evening there. If the bed is too hard you can request a foam topper which makes a huge difference.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Allegro Occidental

Just got back from a two week stay. We love the Allegro and keep going back. I don't think if the Allegro is as bad as what some review, that they would have that many repeat guests. We have always found something to eat. There is a new chef and food has improved but we never had a complaint about food before him. We love the smaller bldgs as opposed to the high rise style resorts. The grounds are well kept. The rooms are clean. The beds are hard but just ask for a topper. I've never lost sleep over the beds. The service is outstanding. The sandy beach is perfect. Easy access into the water. No ladders or dock involved. It is a 15.00 USD taxi ride into San Miguel.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Allegro Occidental

Nice enough property. There will be no night life there and maybe not much "activities" (not sure what you mean). Stay there and rent a car and go into town at night...late at night.

Menomonie, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
784 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Allegro Occidental

Do they have any shows at night or games by the pool in the afternoon? We have stayed at a couple of AI's and they had bingo and we liked playing it.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Allegro Occidental

Yeah, they have stuff like that. Bingo, dance lessons, guacamole and cocktail making (not at the same time though LOL), beach volleyball.

It's just really quiet at night. There's usually a nightly show or movie, but it's pretty much wrapped up by 9:30 or 10

They have a page on Facebook with pictures of some of the activities...

Menomonie, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
784 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Allegro Occidental

Awesome, I'm really leaning towards this place. The beach looks great. The melia is my other choice.