We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hate crowds and now I've been talked into a cruise

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
austin
Level Contributor
36 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
hate crowds and now I've been talked into a cruise

Our taxi is already reserved to pick us up as soon as we can get off the ship at Puerto Maya pier. We are planning on making quick stops (some may be quicker than others) on the east side. Rastas, stop @ El Mirador blowhole, Playa Bonita, Chen Rio- hoping for a short swim here, Coconuts and Puenta Morena. However we want to spend an hour or so snorkeling before we see the east side. Trying to choose between Playa Corona and Punta Sur. I know Punta Sur and all that it has would be great but concerned that it might take up our entire day, and not leave us with time for the east side. I would appreciate any info on choosing between Corona or Punta Sur for snorkeling, keeping in mind that we don't want to devote our entire day to one spot.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
275 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hate crowds and now I've been talked into a cruise

Been to, and love, them both. If you just want to snorkel and move on to other places quickly, I'd say Corona. Just because it's free and right on the road, without the extra ride and sightseeing to do. Although is free, I always at least but a beer before move on... :)

Maine, United States
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: hate crowds and now I've been talked into a cruise

I don't like crowds either. I went on a cruise last April and I did not feel crowded at all except while waiting to get on the boat and in line waiting for customs but both went fast. Once on the boat I never felt crowded. I do recommend upgrading to a balcony room if you don't have one already. So awesome to sit out there in the morning and watch the ocean go by and awesome when coming into a port.

Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
935 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hate crowds and now I've been talked into a cruise

Punta Sur would probably require more time than you want to spend.

You should also consider Playa Palancar. It is one of my favorite spots to hang out and the boat there takes you out to snorkel at Palancar Reef and Columbia shallows.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d1…

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hate crowds and now I've been talked into a cruise

I would agree with Corona (or Money Bar) for the easy in / easy out move on down the road aspect. Palancar you would have to time the Nazarene just right in order to avoid an hour or so wait .. although that's where the BEST snorkeling is IMO.

austin
Level Contributor
36 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hate crowds and now I've been talked into a cruise

Thanks Erin, I was leaning toward Corona and we will be sure to buy something. Inga, we do have a balcony and I agree that once I can just get past the apprehension of the line and boarding I will be fine.

Texas Coast and Linkslady, I can't find any info on this boat, Nazarene. Do you know how I could find their schedule? Or if we don't want to wait for the boat would we still be able to snorkel or swim out very far? Also, would the boat trip eat up hours? Just wanting to try to find easy access (we're all comfortable in the water) to a snorkeling area, and be able to get some snorkeling done in an hour or so.

And to all of you, if time were not an issue, which one of these is best for snorkeling? I think I read that Punta Sur has several boats that will take you out to a reef for a tip? But $48.00entrace for the four of us seems like a lot to just get in for a snorkel, since we probably won't have time to do the lighthouse or crocs?

I don't think I am interested in the Money Bar since it sounds like it can get crowded with my fellow cruisers. Does Punta Sur get a crowd when 4 or 5 ships come in on the same day? THANKS SO MUCH

Edited: 08 February 2012, 05:18
Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hate crowds and now I've been talked into a cruise

I really hope that you do not hate being in crowds that much. If you do you may find a cruise was a poor choice. Although you may be at an advantage. I would let the cruise line know in advance when you board. You may be able to score a free pass to the front of the line when getting off at a port. It gets VERY crowded in those hallways.

Lakewood Ranch...
Level Contributor
196 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hate crowds and now I've been talked into a cruise

We cruise often and you may find that the crowds are not to your liking, especially around the pools and in the night clubs.

I don't mind crowds, but do get a little tired of them sometimes on cruises. I would recommend that if they start to get to you and you don't want to spend time in your cabin; who would? Then head to the covered walkways on the side of the ship with a good book. I can usually locate a lounge chair here, when they are almost impossible to find near a pool, and a nice quiet spot with a gorgeous view and a cooling breeze to just relax and read.

P.S. For snorkeling in Coz I am always a fan of The Money Bar as it has great snorkeling, rent equipment, and is rarely crowded unless you go at night for the bands and bar atmosphere.

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hate crowds and now I've been talked into a cruise

There is no schedule for the Nazarene.. if they have enough peeps to go out they leave.. maximum No. is 16. You didn't say how long your ship was in port. If you got to Playa Palancar right after they opened and got to go out on the first trip (guessing around 10:00 a.m) then you would be back to shore by noon and that would give you plenty of time to continue on to the East side bar hopping... The boat takes you to Colombia and Palancar reef s and you just go with the current and the boat picks you up after the drift snorkel.. lots of cool stuff to see out there!!

austin
Level Contributor
36 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hate crowds and now I've been talked into a cruise

Ineedasol, thanks for the suggestion regarding the line, but I would rather wait my turn. I guess hate was too strong a word- should have said I dislike crowds.

RobinCarr, Thank you for letting me know about the Money Bar. Some reviews seemed to indicate a crowd from the cruise ships gathered here so I hadn't really been considering it. With our time constraint and places we want to see the Money Bar does sound like we should reconsider it.

Linkslady and TexasCoast, One of the reviews on Playa Palancar said the boat ride is about 30 minutes out to Colombia, does this sound about right? Our ship is in port from 8 to 4 so we will really have only about 6 hours or so to see some of Cozumel. Just not sure if we will have time to add an hour for the boat out and back.

Thanks again for all the advice/info.

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hate crowds and now I've been talked into a cruise

We were on the Carnival Conquest & it had an adults only pool "hiding" at the back of the ship. It was great.

There were very few people, a couple of hot tubs, right next door to the buffet ( free ice tea & lemonade) & the ice cream machine. (my husband saw a crew member put ice cream in his coffee & so he did that a lot! Seemed like a waste of ice cream to me.)

Plus very few people discovered it for the 1st couple of days. We spent most of our time there. We didn't like the big open main deck area with a million chairs & the big screen TV.

Cruises are fun. We just have to remember to not try to do too much & spend some time relaxing. Our 1st 1 was 5 islands (& 5 tours) in 7 days. Too much. We came home exhausted.

Have fun!