We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 12-17-11 thru 12-22-11

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report 12-17-11 thru 12-22-11

To preface, I spent alot of time in Cozumel in the early 1980's, travelling with friends as well as solo. After many years away, I began returning with my husband and son. This was our 3rd trip in 20 months,and it overlapped a few days with my sisters family and friends of theirs.

The trip down-

A couple of weeks before our trip, I suffered 2nd degree frostbite on my big toes. The pain was unbearable at times! I would sit for hours with my feet on a heating pad, pretending I was already in Cozumel, and that got me through the worst of it. Once we deplaned, my toes were happy.

At the airport, I noticed duffle type bags weren't making the first turn on the carousel. The were kind of flying off, landing on the back side of the belt- out of reach. By the time we left, they were really starting to pile up.

Waiting for the shuttle, I got a little embarrassed when a guy from our neighborhood had to reintroduce himself. I realized later that I hadn't recognized him because when he is dog walking back home, he isn't wearing that ear-to-ear "I'm in Cozumel!" grin.

Hotel-

Our second stay at El Cozumeleno. With kids, it fits the bill, plus I like being north and close to town. They had added a taco bar since our last stay, so my dream of tacos for breakfast was fulfilled. The 7 kids in our group had a blast, and the pier-protected snorkeling area was a plus for the younger ones. One of the pieces from the giant chess board was missing, and it was fun to watch people improvise a replacement- from hats to humans standing in.

Activities-

This was my first trip ever where I didn't tour the island. In fact, other than dinner in town, we never left the north end. And that was ok. This felt like a "passing-of-thetorch" vacation, and I relished experiencing everything through the children's eyes. When it took 2 hours to lead a group of kids to Playa Azul and back to feed their turtles, that was 2 hours of them pointing out things I might have missed.

We spent time at Club Cozumel Caribe, had drinks at Playa Azul, and wandered north to the Melia a few times. At CCC, it was sad to watch a cruise ship snorkle group emerge from the water. Many on hands and knees, they looked desperate crawling ashore.

Dining-

Meals at Casa Denis, Guido's, Mosaicoz, and La Cocay (twice.) All were good, with La Cocay being outstanding.

High Points-

Snorkelling with my son. It came second nature to him this time, and I was thrilled when he took the lead!

Hotel staff- When our maid from last year saw me from a 4th floor balcony, she came all the way down to give me a hug.

Low Point-

The garbage encountered once you left the hotel grounds. I have a hard time seeing past it, and the couple of bagfuls I collected seemed futile. The old Sol Cabanas swimming pool full of fetid water- ugh.

Thanks to all here on TA who answered questions before our vacation. Back here in cold Colorado, I'm already planning our next visit.

Tennessee Ridge...
Level Contributor
290 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 12-17-11 thru 12-22-11

Thanks for the report. Will have to give La Cocay a try this coming trip.

Texas
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 12-17-11 thru 12-22-11

Thanks so much for the report. 12 weeks to go!

Is it horribly rude of me to laugh abut the cruise ship snorkle group? I am sorry, but couldn't help myself :)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,161 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 12-17-11 thru 12-22-11

Nice report, thanks. And good choice of restaurants. Agree about La Cocay, I think its outstanding also.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 12-17-11 thru 12-22-11

Lovely report, thank you.

I love La Cocay. The food and location are gorgeous but my favourite bit is the little cats. They are so cool.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 12-17-11 thru 12-22-11

haha pod people crawling ashore! Hilarious! Did you get a photo?

Denver
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 12-17-11 thru 12-22-11

Elletek- I had a front row seat to the exodus, and didn't have my camera!

It was both sad and funny to watch. Sad, because the abject terror in many of their eyes was palpable. Funny because it was like watching a sci-fi movie-creatures emerging with snorkels in a death grip.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 12-17-11 thru 12-22-11

haha zombies from the deep!!! That would have been a classic photo!!!

I haven't seen any trip photos from Coz lately, do you have any to share with us?

8. Re: Trip Report 12-17-11 thru 12-22-11

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 10:20