We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US State Department Warnings--All Clear for This Area

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,067 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
US State Department Warnings--All Clear for This Area

The latest US State Department warnings for Mexico, gives a more detailed state by state breakdown. The state of Quintana Roo and Yucatan , have no warnings. Not to say areas in Cancun dont have drug related `problems but the State Department considers areas with violence which might impact visitors. This might be something good for those who doubt safety in the area since it says, ¨Quintana Roo: Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya and Tulum are the major cities/travel destinations in Quintana Roo -see map (PDF, 286 kb) to identify their exact locations: No advisory is in effect. ¨

If you read the entire report, some really startling numbers on the toll of the drug war in Mexico. The good thing, this area remains safe.

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US State Department Warnings--All Clear for This Area

Thanks so much for posting. This would be great to show family and friends when they freak out over us going to Mexico!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,067 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US State Department Warnings--All Clear for This Area

I agree. It shows what a big, diverse country Mexico is , for those who think a problem in Monterrey means there is a problem in Cozumel.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US State Department Warnings--All Clear for This Area

Thanks for sharing--I've re-posted this in the Isla Mujeres forum.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,019 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US State Department Warnings--All Clear for This Area

I was glad to see they were very specific- if people actually take 5 minutes to READ the thing, it should set their minds at ease about traveling to resort areas.

I was also glad to see they clarified some things about Guerrero too, since the last one...we were recently in Zihuatanejo and felt as safe as ever.

Edited: 10 February 2012, 14:34
Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US State Department Warnings--All Clear for This Area

BUT... It didn't specifically mention people who save beach loungers for hours on end without using them.

Edited: 10 February 2012, 15:24
Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US State Department Warnings--All Clear for This Area

Oh never mind - that's usually Cancun & Playa.

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US State Department Warnings--All Clear for This Area

Lol, Uncle Daryl!

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: US State Department Warnings--All Clear for This Area

I'm not American (I'm Canadian) but I'll suggest that U.S. State Department Warnings have little effect on tourism, at least to this area of Mexico.

The real problem with (perceived) violence in Q. Roo is American (and, to a lesser degree, Canadian) mass media that continues to "paint the entire country with the same brush." Until this smear campaign by U.S. media is stopped, many people will continue to falsely believe that travelling anywhere in Mexico is essentially a death wish.

Less people review the U.S. State Department website than watch nightly newscasts. This uphill battle will continue as mass media continues to not allow facts to get in the way of sensationalism.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US State Department Warnings--All Clear for This Area

I also hold the audience of those media responsible. I've seen many articles quoted as "proving" that Mexico is dangerous, when those very articles specify the areas where the violence is occurring. Whether it's lazy reading or geographic ignorance, people often miss the fact (even when it's right under their noses) that the bulk of the violence is hundreds of miles away.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US State Department Warnings--All Clear for This Area

Our cable company carries one of the Detroit stations and I've watched the Detriot news a couple of times. Since then I've decided not to visit the United States as the country is not safe. LOL

When I say that I'm going on vacation to someplace in Mexico (like Mayan Riviera or Cozumel) I do have some friends and family that think I'm crazy to go to such an unsafe country. I do my best to set them straight - whether I succeed or not I'm not sure. Some people see the news and make up their own mids based on that and no amount of common sense or reality will change their mind.