We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware CheapOAir Bait & Switch for Cozumel flights

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Beware CheapOAir Bait & Switch for Cozumel flights

I used TripAdvisor's flight finder (along with Kayak) to find a flight to Cozumel, and the best price that the searches found for a flight that I wanted was from CheapOAir. I clicked on the link to go to CheapOAir, filled in everything, and hit Book Now. It came back with a screen saying that the two tickets were no longer available at that price but that they were available for well over $1,000 more. I declined, returned to CheapOAir's search page, and the same flight was still listed as available at the original price. Tried again, same result. I then noticed that the exact same combination of flights for a few dollars more. I tried this one, hit Book Now, and a screen came back saying that price was no longer available, but I could get the tickets for $500 more. I declined and took one last look. Once again, the exact same combination of flights was listed as available for yet a few dollars more. I tried one last time, and this time it went through, allowing me to buy the two tickets for about $60 more than originally listed.

I eventually got the combination of flights that I wanted at a reasonable price, but I was very disappointed that they tried to gouge me for over $1,000 and then for over $500 for tickets that were obviously available for, at most, $60 more than their originally advertised price. It will have to be an EXTRAORDINARY deal for me to do business with them again.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware CheapOAir Bait & Switch for Cozumel flights

I'd never heard of them to begin with--I'm not sure I'd have gone through with the booking, to be honest.

I hope all goes well from here on in for you!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
254 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware CheapOAir Bait & Switch for Cozumel flights

I never use those kind of sites to actually buy my tickets. They are a great tool to show me what my options are, but I then talk that information and go directly to the actual airlines website to book. Cut out the middle man, and another layer of possible complications. I've never seen one of those other sites offer better prices than you can get from the airlines website.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware CheapOAir Bait & Switch for Cozumel flights

My favorite "Vanishing Air Fare" site is airfarewatchdog.

It's magic! Click on it and it's GONE (LOL).

I agree with yellowhed. I pretty much always book with the airline because it's the best deal and I trust them more.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware CheapOAir Bait & Switch for Cozumel flights

I'd beware of doing business with any company that called themselves, "CheapOAir."

I use a travel agent and fly reputable airlines. This way, I avoid such potential for this foolishness.

Ft.Worth Tx
Level Contributor
429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware CheapOAir Bait & Switch for Cozumel flights

I had a similar experience with CheapOAir going somewhere other than Cozumel. The Rock Bottom Price was never available but if you keep trying and go up a few dollars then you eventually find one that is available. I have no plans on using them again.

6. Re: Beware CheapOAir Bait & Switch for Cozumel flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 19:48