We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ceramic painting

Black Lick, PA
Level Contributor
372 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
Ceramic painting

Last year we stayed at the Melia and my daughter very much enjoyed painting the bowls that they had in the craft area. They would fire them and bring them back the next day. Since we are not staying at a resort style hotel this time, is there anywhere in town that you can do this? The young lady was independent of the hotel and you paid her directly, so I thought a service might be available somewhere in town. I know this sounds like a childs activity, but all the adults in our party did a bowl and now we use them when we have parties as they are quite nice. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Cozumel Palace
Cozumel Palace
#4 of 52 hotels in Cozumel
Playa Azul
Playa Azul
#5 of 52 hotels in Cozumel
The Explorean Cozumel
The Explorean Cozumel
#6 of 52 hotels in Cozumel
Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ceramic painting

I don't know of a place off the hotel, but you might contact Melia guest services and find out how to get in touch with the person.

Hopefully, someone will know of a place, if it exists, and let you know.

Sorry, I couldn't really help with this.

One thing that kinda concerns me is you using the bowls for food. You don't know the type of paint materials they use, and I know there's types that's not suitable for food.

Good luck!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ceramic painting

I think your concern is a valid one, OF. I have often read warnings about using some of the bowls you buy in the tourist shops.

michigan
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ceramic painting

Having painted before at the Grand and Allegro I can say I really enjoyed creating my own Cozumel art and the pieces looked awesome after touch-up and glazing.The paints are acrylic but not sure about the glazing. Probably wouldn't serve hot or liquid containing food from them but chips, nuts, fruit with peels etc. should be fine. Also no dishwasher or microwave-but I'm sure that you wouldn't risk your pieces that way anyway. Hope you find somewhere to paint!

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ceramic painting

yes, Robert, there was a big deal come out about that a few years ago...warnings everywhere.

Agreed, they are beautiful! I have several pieces, but don't use them for food.

Black Lick, PA
Level Contributor
372 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ceramic painting

We only use them for chips and the young lady said they were fine for food but I do not put liquids in them. I paint similar to an 8 year old and when the girl brought my item back, I was surprised my name was on the bottom as it looked so good. Her touch ups were amazing. Really they are mostly decorative but since they were glazed, I figure holding chips was not a bad thing. Thanks everyone. Now that we are booked, I am counting the days.....

Black Lick, PA
Level Contributor
372 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ceramic painting

Anyone know if any of the Beach Clubs do the ceramic painting?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ceramic painting

Playa Mia advertises that they have it. You might try using the search box above (I didn't)...maybe others have found it.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Mia Grand Beach Park
Playa Mia Grand Beach...
1,735 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
ft worth
Level Contributor
977 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ceramic painting

Seems like I remember kids painting ceramics at Carlos and charlies beach area? (the one furthest from town)..

9. Re: Ceramic painting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 04:16